Tutorial:- Setting up a 4gb CF HDD with Classic Workbench & WHDLoad for Amiga

Thanks for that mate,

I got back into the Retro scene about a year ago and collected a ZX Spectrum 48k with an upgraded Opus Discovery 2 with 800k floppy drives, Spectrum 128K, Sepectrum +2 Grey and Spectrum +3e - Man what memories... Then started with Amiga's, I had no idea what workbench, kickstart etc was. I have done tons of reading and asking questions and built a Amiga A1200 with MBX1200X 8 meg Fast ram, re capped and installed one of your 4G CF cards made from your guide. Worked great. Was hooked and wanted more. So another A1200, re capped, ACA-1232 and AGAmkII, Installed a 16G CF card formatted SFS using johnim's guide, Elbox 4xEIDE99. I now could get all the games and demo's on a CF card. Been working great. But still wanted more, so another A1200, fitted in a A1200 custom black case with 40gig hard drive, 4G CF Card and DVD Rom, AGAMKIIcr, 4xEIDE'99, Blizzard 1230 MK V, 192Meg, SCSI card. Took my first dive into AmigaOS 3.9 with this one. I have also a Sam440EP System with OS4.1 and a Mac Mini G4 running MorphOS 3.2. My next project is the big one and still dont know all the answers but now have all the hardware I have been collecting over the last year. Just modding a Commodore Game tower to fit the next A1200 motherboard with a Blizzard 060@66MHz/PPC@300MHz with a Blizzard Vision Board, Meditator 1200 TX PCI board, FastATA 1200 MK-IV CF/SATA, Radeon 9200 256MB/2x128MB, Sound Blaster 4.1 Digital PCB, Fast Ethernet 10/100Mbps card and a Spider II USB 2.0 card. Will be using AmigaOS 3.9 on this build. Anyway thats my bit of fun.

Almost finished configuring ClassicWB ADVSP on my A1200. Just a few things to do and I can install the hard disk inside the A1200. I've been running vanilla AOS 3.9 on it and found it a bit heavy even though I've got a Blizzard 1230 MkIV.
ClassicWB ADVSP gives me the same look and feel and then some, while hopefully being leaner.

Thanks johnim and fitzsteve for your guides, you have no idea how helpful they have been for me. For someone who could not afford an Amiga in the day and had to settle for a ZX Spectrum, I now have 3 x A1200's and built up from your guides today.

Again thanks for your time and effort.

And that is exactly why we are all hooked on retro! Being able to finally obtain and play around with all the hardware and software that was out of our reach at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Great help

Great help

A great help. No doubt! Thanks a lot.

>And that is exactly why we are all hooked on retro! Being able to finally obtain
>and play around with all the hardware and software that was out of our reach
>at the time.

Well, that is for me one of the most essential phrase.

Started with a blank Workbench at an Amiga as an self-study noob just clueless how to set up the system. Video is very helpful to understand how the EMU's
(and developer) think and how to handle this. I think now i will also be able to set up my older SCSI A2000 Systems in similar way's. A lot to do now...

Keep up the good work guys!

Hey guys, glad to help :)

I'm hoping to bring an advanced guide to setting up PFS3 and SFS with large drives, I just need to do a little more research before the guide as things can get a bit complex and I want to avoid giving incorrect information!

Thanks for a million fitzsteve for this helpful tutorial! I successfully managed to install Classic Workbench to my 4Gb CF card!

Unfortunately I tried to make it work with my 8Gb CF card and I can't get it work right.

I found a one tutorial on youtube but it sadly seems to work only in the original Workbench.

I would be super halppy if you could do a video tutorial about 8Gb CF install with Classic Workbench. The earlier tutorial helped me a lot.

Thanks !!!!

I have an internal hard drive working fine in my Amiga that I connected to my PC using a USB enclosure...

Should windows have detected the drive?
I went into Computer Management to identify the drive and it showed as 2gb unallocated space - is this correct?

Should I go ahead and mount the drive winAUE emulator as per the tutorial as I'm looking to upgrade WHDLoad but before I go any further just making sure the above was right before I go down the route of mounting and messing if the end point is unobtainable.

Plan B is to buy a pre-loaded 8gb card with Workbench and WHDLoad preinstalled.

Thanks for any help:)

Yes you can add the hard drive in UAE and it will act just like an Amiga Hard Drive. Do NOT let Windows assign a driver letter or partition the drive or you will have to clean the drive with Diskpark before you can use it again with WinUAE and of course any data will be destroyed.

More info on Diskpark, etc in my advanced tutorial:

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUiNARd-bg[/m]

Note these tutorials are quite old now so their info might not be current!

Last edited:
Yes you can add the hard drive in UAE and it will act just like an Amiga Hard Drive. Do NOT let Windows assign a driver letter or partition the drive or you will have to clean the drive with Diskpark before you can use it again with WinUAE and of course any data will be destroyed.

Cool, looks like everything was 'normal' then! I'll give it a go later.

Thanks for the reply :)

Back
Top Bottom