Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All,

I spent some time today creating a video tutorial for installing Classic Workbench with WHDload Games onto a 4gb CF card, it seems to be a commonly asked question for a guide (from start to finish) so here it is in video form!

This is intended to be the most basic steps to achieve the objective so that people returning to the scene can get up and running as easily and trouble free as possible

I didn't cover optimised file systems and large drives, etc as I didn't want the guide to be overly complex. Please allow yourself plenty of time if you plan to do the installation, the video it's self is over 30 minutes long and there were a lot of times the video was stopped for processes to complete. I would say to setup a drive and Classic Workbench from absolute scratch allow 1-2 hours depending on how many Games you want!

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd42RsKHm5Y[/m]

The Video is still processing, it will be in HD once processing has finished. Lighting wasn't great so it is a little grainy in places but where you have to read text on screen it's fine :)

Anyway, I hope it helps some people who otherwise might have struggled (y)

Steve.

Last edited:
Nice mate and stickied

can i hear your piggys squeeking in the background

Nice mate and stickied

can i hear your piggys squeeking in the background

Cheers mate.

Yeah you can probably hear the little critters along with some fan noise. Youtube is very good now at filtering it out and they have shake reducing too now so the video will improve :)

Nice video Steve,

I am downloading it for future use as it has been a while since I set up a card and this will save me from making any mistakes due to forgetting what I was supposed to do especially the max transfer part ;)

This will no doubt be a great benefit for your intended audience as well as forgetful folk like myself where it will save a lot of re-researching and scratching our heads wondering why it didn't work because we have done it in the past (but forgot how we did it) :LOL:

Great job Steve (y)

Where was this video a few years ago??? Well I managed with the help of KTC to get CWB up and running, but now I can do it myself! :D

Always seem to come across half finished/old guides so this video is sooo sent from heaven! Thanks Steve (y)

Well, it took me three hours, but it worked!

I’ve just installed Classic Workbench 68k on my A600 and it works perfectly. Considering I have no idea about the intricacies of Workbench, if I can perform a full install using this guide, then anyone can.

Many thanks, Steve…

@Somelie

I'm really glad it helped you (y)

The first time does take a few hours, once you get the hand of it you can zip through them :)

Yep, it was the constant switching between WinUAE and the video, then double and triple checking to make sure I wasn’t about to make some sort of terminal mistake that took most of the time!

I also had my Kickstart images in the wrong file, so had to go back and add them to the PC directory halfway through :picard. Other than that, it was smooth sailing...

Hey Steve, quick question:

I've installed 3.9 and then ClassicWB (there is a tutorial floating around the forum), and so far I've got my card to work fine.

But now I am curious to know....since I formatted in the beginning with the FFS that came with 3.1 (as you did in the video, from what I can tell), do I have to re-format the partitions on my CF card but using a different FS?

I can't find info about classicWB, regarding the FS used....it is FFS or it has something newer, like SFS? In that case I could just re-format my partitions, or should I got into tools and use the hd tool to make ALL the partitions SFS?

Probably you did a video with a small card so was not a big deal, but if you use 4 or 8 Gb, it is a must to use a different FS...got my drive wiped already twice :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the guide! I am currently trying to attempt this on my A600 'June Bug' but the Install Disk (WB 3.0) was left out in the disk set I just bought... :picard

Any way to do this without the install disk? I found a guide for using UAE but it was IMO quite confusing.

Hope you can help - would so love to be able to play my old games without tearing on the original disks.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Please see johnim's guides as he will show you how to prepare your CF step by step in WinUAE with no need for real Disks (y)

Hey Steve, this is exactly what I've been looking for! (y)

Thanks! :)

Thanks johnim and fitzsteve for your guides, you have no idea how helpful they have been for me. For someone who could not afford an Amiga in the day and had to settle for a ZX Spectrum, I now have 3 x A1200's and built up from your guides today.

Again thanks for your time and effort.

Last edited:
Hey Radioman, I was a Spectrum user back in the day for the same reasons :)

I'm glad the guide has helped.

Buy the way I hope to find the time to do a more complex Video guide for SFS/PFS3 and large Disk support soon (y)

Back
Top Bottom