Converting and Retro-Fitting an mATX to an Amiga PSU

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello there my fellow AmiBayers,

I am please to present this little project I had undertaken for my friend Kinnie.

With Kin Hells recent Amiga Specification really pushing the old 60watt Power Pack I promised a present that would solve his problem, so here is the -

mATX (micro ATX) to Amiga Power Supply

P1010614.jpg

This unit provides a nice stable 150watt, but more so it provides 20 amps on the +5v rail, very important for Amiga usage.

So how was it done?

well... if you want to know more you best carry on reading.

The Micro ATX Power supply

To begin with we need a Micro ATX PSU of around 150 watts - with this we must make sure that it provides atleast a good 15 amps on the +5volt line/rail.

Once we have our mATX PSU (I got mine from eBay for £0.99p) we can get to work

Zetr0Lair.jpg

1. Testing the unit

This is very important, to begin we must test that this unit output good clean power under-load. so I use my trusty ATX tester

P1010516.jpg

Okay she passed all but the -5v test, this PSU does not provide -5... wich is no matter as the Amiga model this is destined for doesn't need it

so we discharge the unit and begin

Dissembling the mATX unit

caution.PNG

So off comes the ATX bracket,

P1010518.jpg

And we unscrew the primary housing of the unit -

P1010520.jpg

As we can see theres a bit of a clean-up job to do!

P1010521.jpg

Okay, to be fair its a lot of a clean-up job... clearly the previous occupants have a wolly mammoth that was shedding a lot.

P1010521.jpg

Now removing the Fan from the secondary housing plate

P1010523.jpg

We then unscrew the PCB from the chassis

P1010524.jpg

Yeah... got a clean-up job to do...

P1010525.jpg

And heres the PCB, free of the filthy housing..

P1010527.jpg

Stripping down the mATX PSU

P1010544.jpg

Theres a lot of wire, that we really dont need in this build... infact... out of the 30+ wires connected we only need 8.

To make the job easier we apply some flux-paste to the area to de-solder.

P1010546.jpg

Its best to note that you will need atleast 380c to re-work most PSU PCB's

P1010547.jpg

Dont worry about the brown dirty area thats just old flux NOT a burn in the PCB.

We continue on, stripping out the non-needed wire looms from the PCB

P1010549.jpg

Once removed we snip both the -12(blue) and PSON (green), this is because these points (among many) are not designated on the board, so its best just having them there for reference later.

P1010550.jpg

After that is complete I re-construct the Power Socket Molex, Note that I have placed some Capacitors from both the Live and Nutral terminals to the Earth.

P1010553.jpg

At this point I take the opportunity to lengthen the wire from the motherboard to the socket

P1010554.jpg

Its also best at this juncture to clean as you go. Flux is nasty NASTY stuff if left uncleaned.

Moving on to add some wires here -

P1010559.jpg

The red +5v, the Yellow +12v, the Black Ground and the Blue -12v are the onyl things we need to setup for the Amiga side of things,

P1010558.jpg

Once all the wire is connected, its time for the PCB to get a good clean, courtesy of Mr. Electric Toothbrush and his friend, Mr Car Screen Wash =)

P1010561.jpg

Mmmmm Foamy =D

P1010562.jpg

Normaly I Dab-Dry and then I leave it to air dry, of course if you have Hot-Air then go-for it... but you MUST make sure that you dry the PCB and Wires completely

P1010564.jpg

Now to tidy things up we use Heat-Shrink tubing

P1010565.jpg

This gives a safe and proffessional finish

P1010568.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reconstructing the mATX PCB

P1010571.jpg

Now that we have the right wires we need to attache them to the correct lines for the Amiga Connector Cable.

P1010570.jpg

Using this Pinout from Ian Steadmans site

power-plug.JPG

you can buzz out on a multi-meter which is recomended as not all Amiga PSU's use the same colour wiring.

for General Reference you can use this,

dirwire.jpg

but again its wiser to buzz-out the correct configuration

So to finalize the connections with heat-shrink tubing

P1010577.jpg

The Amiga (A500/A600 and A1200) PSU

P1010529.jpg

The Amiga Power Supply is a little weedy at the best of times and after a good 20 year service, its way beyond servicable for the most part.

The moment you put in the upgrades, to ramp up the power, its only inevitable the long standing friend will eventually stop giving reliable power. This will cause errors / crashes and even sound distortions.

A 60 watt unit... at over 20 years old, its seen much better days
P1010531.jpg

Unfortunately you cannot just pop-into the shops and buy a new Amiga PSU, infact if you asked you would probably get the response "Omega whu?!"

What we need is a cheap-reliable power supply that can give us the juice our expanded Amiga's needs, but housed in a familar chassis that we know and love.

Disassembling the Amiga Power Supply

caution.PNG

For the most part Dissasembling the Amiga Power supply is easy, by unscrewing each screw in the four corners we can open up the PSU

P1010532.jpg

From here we can easly open the unit and inspect it.

P1010533.jpg

This particualr unit is from an old Amiga A600

Once you remove the PCB from the housing its interesting to note or marvel at just how simple the PSU actually is,

P1010534.jpg

So, onto the disassembly - all we need from this PCB is the ON/OFF switch and the Amiga Connector Cable

P1010535.jpg

Once we have taken what we want we can either discard the broken PCB or, keep it as a reminder of a friend from a long-gone-era

P1010537.jpg

Customizing the Amiga PSU housing
to accomodate an mATX PSU

Before we can retro-fit an matx power supply for our Amiga, we must first modify the ABS plastic enclousure of the Amiga Power Supply.

P1010538.jpg

To begin with the is a small *rib* of plastic that needs to be removed other the mATX PCB wont sit properly.

P1010539.jpg

Since the ABS is old and brittle this thickness of plastic is no match for plyers and will!!
P1010540.jpg

See -
P1010541.jpg

There now the mATX looks all nice and comfy

P1010542.jpg

Now, unlike the Amiga PSU, the mATX PSU does require active cooling, alas the Amiga PSU housing isn't really designed for that purpose so we need to be pro-active and make it happen

Using a simple alignment from the 80mm Fan Plate, marking out the area for the fan.

P1010586.jpg

No point re-inveting a square me thinks-

P1010587.jpg

Lucky for me I have one of these wee beasties, (£25 from Aldi at the time)

P1010588.jpg

Anyway we need a Pilot hole first before we get to the next level -

P1010589.jpg

Holey Amiga housing batman!!!

P1010590.jpg

so what the Pilot hole for eh? well my friend its for one of these

P1010591.jpg

dont they look MEAN! now all I do is find one with the right circumference

P1010592.jpg

Bingo!

Now that was light work (beats using a dremel!!!)

P1010593.jpg

Just a for more small holes for screws

P1010594.jpg

Here we attach the fan by screw-fixing an old protector plate from the inside

P1010595.jpg

Now in this particular build the fan is ontop, this could ealy be inside the housing a thiner (slim line) version of the fan was used

P1010597.jpg

Heres a finishing touch so NO ONE losses thier fingers

P1010598.jpg

Retro Fitting the mATX into a modified Amiga PSU Chassis

P1010599.jpg

Before we can put this project to be we need to reconstruct the Amiga PSU chassis a little to get everything nice and tight -

P1010600.jpg

For the most part this is quite a simple case of where do you want it and two minutes with a Dremel

P1010601.jpg

In the above pic I decided to pretty much keep it standard, with the power out the back and the Amiga 5 pin Cable leading from the front. You will also notice that I decided to put the "Volt In" selector on the side...

P1010602.jpg

Yes this puppy will work anywhere where theres either 110 or 220volt system (its important lol)

Heres a shot to prove I am only human,

P1010603.jpg

thats a cut twice and measure once fail that one... (sorry charlie)

Anyway - once everything is in the way you want it, its time to BOND the PCB to the chassis - my method is 3 fold,

Standoffs with Kelepto pads, (these can hold 5KG each once stuck)

P1010606.jpg

And High Bond Hotglue

P1010605.jpg

and eh viola!

P1010607.jpg

dont beleve me its rigid -

P1010612.jpg

So time to plug-in the fan

P1010613.jpg

And put the two halfs together (in holey matromony!)

P1010614.jpg

The Final shots of the PSU running
(a modestly expanded Amiga A1200)

P1010615.jpg

P1010616.jpg

P1010620.jpg

So what would I do differently now?

well I would probably not of made the 5mm mistake on alignmment for the rear power socket and I would also hunted for a slim-line 80mm fan to fit internally.

Thinking about it now, I would also look at introducing an Air-release vent to reduce air pressure inside the housing.

but I better Give Kin Hell somthing to do... or he might be upset with me lol =D

Nice one Zetr0. (y)
I knew you were busy beavering away, but I think you've excelled yourself.

Defnitely worth a Serious Sticky me-thinks. ;)

Kin

Zetro, that is fan-bloody-tastic mate! You skills are awesome dude, I wish I could do a job that looks as professional as that one! Well done :)

@ Kin

Thats one neat PSU you have there now mate :)

nice guide

nice guide

Enjoyed this guide, and learned alot from it... txs..

Would not wan't that fan on top :huh: But you are sure it is a proper psu..:)

I did the very same to one of mine weak A500 PSU.

I was lucky enough to find a 230W mATX with a very thin fan. So on mine the fan is internal.

I've put the voltage selector at the bottom and used the original power switch, cord and Amiga power cable.:)

Also used the Dremmel on the underside and top vents to allow a bit more more air to circulate.

Oh, BTW: I made this thread sticky!

Haha, amazing, guess how I spent last night? That's right, converting an mATX PSU :) I opted to keep the original power cable, hardwired it to 230 V (I won't be traveling with my A1200 anyway), and left one drive power cable hanging out (you never know). Amazingly the mounting holes for the mATX PCB lined up perfectly with the Amiga case, so fitting it was easy. Still to do is mounting the small secondary PCB, and mounting a fan.

Attachments

• CIMG1684.jpg
    CIMG1684.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CIMG1685.jpg
    CIMG1685.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG1687.jpg
    CIMG1687.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 4
Z, one thing I didn't get was that the mATX needs a toggle switch and the Amiga power brick has a button, a "statefull switch".

How was that solved?

Excelent !!! :)

@arnljot : http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml
taking a look on the ATX connector you can connect pin 14 (usually either green or purple) with 0V (just one of the black ones)
and the PSU will be on. the PSU usually has a direct ON/OFF from the 115/230V which is the one you want to use to switch on/off the psu.

Puttin the ON/OFF between the PSU and Amiga is doable, but not recommended, eg if you switch off your Amiga, there'll still be power consumption in the PSU itself.

Hmm I think my first post disappeared. or perhaps it has to go through the moderator first ?

@Zetr0 - Great guide, thanks :) makes it much better than having an ATX psu scratching the table (I'll no doubt follow your inspiration one of these days)
Perhaps to drill some holes for the air to get out ?
both for the movement, but also to prevent higher pressure inside, high pressured air becomes warmer, though I doubt that the temp will rise that much.

@arnjlot in post #4 picture 4 you'll actually see the switch connecting pin 14 to 15 (or was it 13?) pin 14 when connected to 0V turns on the PSU.

This is a way to do it, though not recommended in the essence that the PSU still consumes power when switched off.

I'd recomend a break on the phase from the 115/230V instead.

___/ ____ AC Voltage

_________ Null

then just connect pin 14 to 0V permanently, eg pin 15 (or actually, where the pins whould have been before removing the exessive wires).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom