Basic N00bs guide to AmigaOS

interesting..

interesting..

For me the last part was the most usefull.. little confused between old pc ms dos, linux shell today and amiga shell..

The main differences were to me:

/ instead of \ in dos, but in linux /
device names. (like the amiga way the best)
instead of dos sys x: install dfx:

etc..

unseen

unseen

Well yes, it was a little confusing at first to me to, many years ago.

But hey, linux is full with security, so unseen can be a pain in the ass in linux. (windows network shares/ntfs drives etc)

But good post, needed to refresh a little.

I must admid, have some question pending, probably this will be the most laughable question in amibay history, but I'll have a go anyway:

I use cleanup. in workbench, after that I'll have one other option to get icons aligned, and stay that way.(not sure wich)

After reboot it mostly stays aligned..

But not with the workbench icons (showing the hard-disks, cdrom etc.. Still need to press A. to clean it up everythime after reboot. It annoy's me, most of my workbench windows are nice and clean, but can't figure how to get the first screen clean..

Probably the most stupid question ever...:(

I have the opposite problem. I often scratch my head for a moment wondering why Windows command prompt says "bad command or filename" when I type 'endcli' :)

Okay, I need a little help with part of my Amithlon startup. I want to add MathLibsUAE to it, and I was told to put "PatchMSB" below Setpatch QUIET. Does that mean directly below it, a space between?

This is a great idea as my Amiga skills from back in the day went as far as chucking disks in, the three keys and xcopy lol:whistle::oops:

I always wanted a modded Amiga but couldn'affordrd one, so at this point in my life I am finally getting around to it - sadly I will have many questions!! :):)

Thanks

(y)

Great doc! Thanx!

Just wondering about the google translate link?
It opened with a google translate from French to English, but the translation was perfect..
So, I take the original and paste it into a new tab and.. it's English already.

So, is/was there a reason for the link to be a google translate?

desiv

Yes, the google link confused me, too.

http://obligement.free.fr/documents/ami_beg.txt

the original source is already in english ^_^

For a moment i thought google had managed to get their translator to work perfectly on technical texts. But then i remember all the bad machinetranslated junk password stealers use in their mails ...

Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I'm new to the Amiga scene and have been looking for something to help me get started. Thanks again!

This is very useful article :) I really learned to use amiga with trying and pushing buttons and asking help. I think i read this at free time.

Great find. Would it be a good idea if Lumbo's link to the English text file replaced the one in the original post?

Great find. Would it be a good idea if Lumbo's link to the English text file replaced the one in the original post?

Added English link but left Google translator in for other nationalities

Last edited:
Added English link but left Google translator in for other nationalities

Good idea! (y)

- - - Updated - - -

I found a cool link a few weeks back for AmigaDOS commands.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Command_Reference

If there isn't one already, perhaps a sticky for "online Classic Amiga technical documentation/references" (or such) would be a good idea? A mod could update the initial post as people contribute to it, so it's all up front.

Just an idea :)

Back
Top Bottom