Antenna to ethernet adapter acting up

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
My colleague gave me this antenna to ethernet adapter/converter to check up on as it is acting up.

The converter adapts DVB-T antenna signal impedance to make it suitable to transfer within ethernet cable. It also amplifies the converted signal.

The problem is that now the TV picture has begun to pixelate. A new box costs about 400 € so I thought it might worthwhile to check if it could be repaired.

The PSU that comes with the converter box is rated for 12 V at 1,5 A output. Without load it gives out 12 volts but when the box is connected the voltage is only about 2 volts. The converter makes a whirring/buzzing sound and the power led flickers.

Attached is a picture of the top PCB as there are two PCBs stacked on top of each other and connected by a 5-pin connector. The PCBs are fastened with a few solder blobs and it may be a b**ch to unsolder as the case/chassis is plastic.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• WP_20130819_001.jpg
    WP_20130819_001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20130819_002.jpg
    WP_20130819_002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Protek,

Not sure I can help with a fix, could be a dodgy capacitor gone micorophonic if it's making a noise.

But as a replacement maybe a USB DVB-T TV card and a small computer, Rasberry Pi or similar set up as a media server would be a much cheaper replacement than 400EU.

best regards.

Back
Top Bottom