Building a Water Cooled Rig for my Best m8, "TheSpunkster"

Re: Building a Water Cooled Rig for my Best m8, "TheSpunkster"

:roll: I have been thinking about a long time and cant figure out why you have to hold the computer over your head to get the air out "it has botherd me for some time " :LOL: ? Time will do that by it self i know as i have never ever used a reservoir "thats shorts down the time". Only a T with fillport "takes 6hours. It all goes trough a swiftech APOGEE GT->TFC 360->radeon 4870x2 "8800GTX before" with EK fullcover block-> TFC 360rad->T-> Pump.. Not the traditional setup for res->pump->rad->block but the less restrictive and coolest one... Other than that its a damn fine mod that case i was tempted to get the Cosmos S that have room for the tripple rad and cutout in the top but did not.. Will be setting up my Watercooling in a new box after christmas when i get home. I am not sure i have confidense to plase it here though.. It will be a All internal setup:)...

@ Adonay

It had to go over the head at an angle with the front panel facing the ground for several reasons. Whilst in this position, you tilt it to get the bubbles out of the Reservoir back up the tube that comes from the Passive Rad back across the T-Block. You cant do this on the Workbench, still see the bubbles & control the tilt. On top of this, the weight of the whole thing would blemish/Damage the front plastic panel if on the workbench. One good thing about this particular case are the 4 x Rails on the top & bottom of the case. They really worked well for this.

That.......is.........Awesome!

I would pull off my right nut just to touch it. :mrgreen:

Aside from the Agony on the A1200 Thread Phil (I'm feeling it too) you could have a free one & save your right nut in the process! 8)

This took some time coming & there have been several changes of graphics card. The Rig was originally built with 2 x 9600's in SLI. Since then, the Rig has seen an ATI 4870X2 & now runs on a single GTX295.

It's horses for courses in a Toss Up between GTX295 & 4870X2. Whilst the ATI card is slightly faster in FPS than the GTX295, the nVidia card works better with V-Sync & is visually far superior. Crysis is just Awesome on this Rig, barely dropping below 50 Fps ever. He now want's two of em! :roll: :mrgreen:

Here are some numbers.

Attachments

• 3DMark01.JPG
    3DMark01.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3DMark 03.JPG
    3DMark 03.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3DMark 05.JPG
    3DMark 05.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3DMark 06.JPG
    3DMark 06.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1Mb SuperPi.JPG
    1Mb SuperPi.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Everest.JPG
    Everest.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nice scores there although suprised it diddent do better in some of the tests "3dmark" , Were the 16M and 32M Pi tests unstable\failed @ 4.3ghz, as i am very interested in those? .. What were the tempratures at ? GPU and both CPU cores.. Also does he run a EK block on that 295gtx are there any waterblocks for it yet? .. What res does he use for gaming btw since you say the gtx has less fps than the X2 ? My X2 performs less than my mates 260sli setup in mosts tests with identical cpu and mobo q6600@3.8ghz... Although i gues i beat him hands down in max res and aa.. Interesting you mention vertical sync though as it is something most people never use, ATI has alot of issues with it as well i agree to that ... Are you sure its not a 285GTX he is using "the single gpu one?"...

Anyways awsome rig probbably better than mine :D

Enabling VSYNC stops the horizontal tearing when looking left to right quickly. - Particulary in 3D shooters.
However, your Monitor Refresh rates play an important role, because with VSYNC Enabled, it set's itself to the same Refresh Value as your monitor @ that particular Screen Res. This is where LCD's look crap in games, unless run @ ther Opitimum Resolution & even then, 60hz is piss poor & you are lucky to get 70 or even 75Hz @ say 1920 x 1200. They look brilliant on the Desktop though even @ 60Hz! - No flicker! :wink:

I'm hoping to get hold of a 23" Mitsibushi TFT soon. Apparently, she can do 1920 x 1200 @ 100Hz, so with VSYNC on, any games @ said Res upto this can be running without horizontal tearing & maintain 100FPS where they can. Doom3 (Locked @ 60Hz) is just totally crap to look at even on a monitor with the above spec, but this was an introduction game for the start of the LCD (Low Crappy Display) fest & crap Gfx cards of it's era.

Temps on his CPU are about 80 Deg C under load. Due to Passive cooling on the loop. With his 9600's SLI'd on Water blocks, he was hitting 105 Deg C under load. :shock: - Bloody Passive Rad's fault tbh! :(

The 295 is on Air atm.

Normally, he's a 1600 x 1200 fan, but he likes getting some 1920 x 1200 action when he can. Race Driver GRID runs about 80FPS minimum @ that RES with EVERYTHING on in the Gfx Dept. Much the same with most games. I saw Crysis running on his 4870X2 & despite it dropping as low as 30-35fps, it just never chugged or felt laggy. The 295 is giving him 50-55fps minimums at the same res afaik. I need to catch up with the fella (haven't in weeks ffs) & get some visuals in mind. - I'll update when I can.

RE the Bench numbers & using a Single core, he's been doing it all. Tomb Raider Legend gives him another 25fps for turning a GPU off. :LOL:

I know he was experimenting with Cores on & off for 3DMark scores a while back. Again, I'll update when I can. :)

Kin

I'm hoping to get hold of a 23" Mitsibushi TFT soon. Apparently, she can do 1920 x 1200 @ 100Hz, so with VSYNC on, any games @ said Res upto this can be running without horizontal tearing & maintain 100FPS where they can. Doom3 (Locked @ 60Hz) is just totally crap to look at even on a monitor with the above spec, but this was an introduction game for the start of the LCD (Low Crappy Display) fest & crap Gfx cards of it's era.

Hope you are not running dual gfx cards with that screen it will stutter like hell unless the game hits 100fps if a single 280\285gtx it would be best. Much of what people experience from screen tear is actually microstutter and not always framesync as far as i understand ... Sorry for going off topic . Anyways think i will try vsync again and have a look again..-

You're probably not Forcing the required Refresh Rates. WindoZe by default is 60hz & might push some Res's beyond. There have been lots of issues with RE to VSYNC being ON over both ATI & nVidia in recent years!
GTX295 does a far better job with V-SYNC on than ATI's 4870 X2, period.

Kin

@ Adonay

Any news there m8y. Use this to force your refresh rates: RefreshLock

Kin

Back
Top Bottom