A570 + A500, CDTV compatability issues?

zombie10k

Country
Philadelphia, PA
Hi, thanks for replying in Andy's CDTV thread, I didn't want to hijack with these questions.

I recall reading on http://www.cdtv.org.uk/games.html that there are a number of titles that they claim won't work on the A570. Is this because the average A500 has only 512k of chip, or was there specific hardware missing from the A570?

I have 2 choices to connect the A570 to, an A500 which I can upgrade to either an 8372 1 meg agnus and do the mobo modification for 1 meg of chip ram, or connect it to an A500+ I have on the way.

Just curious, i've always been interested in checking out some of the CDTV titles and picked up the A570 for a great price recently.

It's a shame the A590 and A570 can't chain off each other, but I do have one of the Supra 2 MB passthrough expansions, I wonder if that will work with the A570, if not look a bit odd connecting 2 devices.

thanks!

Will work using the Supra RAM RX. No worries.

You can use a hacked 1Mb chip RAM A500. Don't know about the A500+, maybe it will work, too.

Will work using the Supra RAM RX. No worries.

You can use a hacked 1Mb chip RAM A500. Don't know about the A500+, maybe it will work, too.

thanks for the reply. I am curious though why specifically they are listing games in that link I posted that won't work with the A570.

I'll have to locate a few on that list to see if they actually work with the A570, or if there is some specific reason (hardware differences?) that it wouldn't work.

A500Plus most certainly does work with A570.

One reason that CDTV software might not work perfectly, and I recall that this was well known back in the day, is that the A570 is not a CDTV - it emulates one quite well though.

And a SCSI controller for the A500 is not a CDTV, either.:p

Not all CDTV titles will work, that's for sure.

KS2.04 is definitely a problem for some CDTV titles.

Although I imagine it's perfectly fine to run a 500+ with a Kickstart 1.3 ROM. In fact, I'd suspect that getting a 500+ motherboard and swapping the Kickstart and Denise chips to get a 'latest revision' A500 model would be quite a reasonable stunt. Dunno if you'd have to change Agnus too, though.

@Andrew: the A500+ Agnus is not compatible with older A500 motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom