any one expiriened with ECU's ?

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
hi probably not the best place to ask this, but i guess its a good a place as any.

any way. my father has a peug elystar 150. it wasn't getting fuel through the injector. after a while. the ecu basically exploded.
he asked me to have a look at it "i am no ecu expert by any stretch of the imagination"

to my eye i can see a cap has exploded and is missing from the pcb, the over voltage suppressor looks like it was subjected to a crazy amount of heat.
some of the ground plane on the back which is directly on the trace from the voltage suppressor has taken some damage. and a trace at the top right (near the pin connector) seems to have been damaged previously by corosion.

the traces i can fix.
the smd caps and resisters arent a problem to replace. infact i could solder by hand any of the components on the pcb. "not sure about the voltage supressor as they arent something that i am familiar with, and im not even certain on how they are solderd in place.(item 12)

any way what i would like to know is what is the value of the cap to the left and slightly lower of the voltage converter (item 13 in the picture)

also as it may be better to just replace the ecu. "4 stroke 150 elystar pug injection"
is there a compatable generic ecu i could use as it is not easy to find one specific for the elystar 150.

im not sure why the ecu would have exploded like it did, but he did call me and say "this ecu is getting really really hot" i said i would come and have a look.
by the time i got here he had decided to check where the heat was coming from and thats when it exploded.

(i am suspecting that his battery charger which was being used as a booster at the same time could have pumped through more volts than the ecu was happy to accept, and the over voltage protection did its job the best it could, but with it pumping excess voltage back to ground. the cap took the brunt of it acted like a fuze and exploded)

any help would be appretiated.
he wants to sell the thing but he would rather have it working taxed and tested before he does.

i will add that the bike was bought as a non runner which was not getting fuel from the injector. after some random poking it did run for a while, but not long. thats when he decided to examine the ecu and found it to be getting hot.

attachment.php

Do you know what model that ECU is, e.g. ACI 100?

If it's an ACI 100 immobiliser ECU I can probably lay hands on a circuit diagram for it, as I am a member of a few scooter forums. I own a Peugeot TKR 50 Off-Road and there are replacement aftermarket immobiliser by-pass ECUs available, but I need to be sure which one you have to start with, as there are several models that Peugeot use. The model should be on a label on the casing of the ECU.

i will ask.

still dont know why the flipping thing exploded. I have to blame the battery charger he had connected.

i would go ahead and replace the pats as a 1st course of action to be honest as i dont relish the thought of the imobelizer, he only ha a black key for the thing. so if im not mistaken he would need the red one to re program a new ecu to the key/imobelizer...
although i think it could possibly "30% chance" not be an issue as it could have a seperate imobelizer circuitry that just talks to the ecu.

little bit peeved to be honest lol. but i guess it is his to explode if thats his cup of tea.

If it's any help, the engine in the Elystar is basically a Honda engine and is the same unit as fitted to Honda FES Pantheon, Dylan and Bali models. It's based on the Honda GY6 engine and has been widely cloned by the Chinese, although not all of the Chinese clones have fuel injection.

ecu says.

philips "made in france"
325-029-0b 4 Stroke -PI
3250290b-02256022774

no idea how much help that is.

These tiny SMD ceramic caps are usually unmarked, best guess is to find another of the same size/shape on the board, unsolder and measure it. Either that or find another trashed ECU of the same type and cannibalise it.

Do a google images search for "MR2835S" to see what it looks like sans PCB, it's a hotair rework tool/blowtorch removal job if it's faulty.

From the text that was originally with the image you posted:
13 - Quad voltage comparator 2901
This part is one several used to condition sensor inputs to the correct range for the cpu to convert to digital, this device is trigering at a certain level to convert the AC signal from the crank sensor to a digital signal

The missing cap seems to just be a filter to keep AC out of the DC only inputs of the opamp. It shouldn't be a critical value, but I can't be 100% sure.

My concern is the fault is bad wiring/voltages into the sensor inputs, that would blow the cap and cause protection devices to overheat. I'd probably replace the 2901 IC, as it's likely damaged.

thats not the smd cap thats xploded. its just the closest component.

Does the ECU show any signs of condensation or water damage? I know that the Elystars had the ECU located just behind the front wheel where it would catch all kinds of muck and moisture and it wasn't up there with the Wheel and Penicillin in terms of being a good idea.

As station240 says, it's most likely a smoothing cap to take voltage ripples and spikes out, so the value won't be too critical. The heat suggests a short of some kind, hence my comments about moisture damage.

Also, what does the plug end look like in terms of terminal layout, so that I can search for a compatible part?

Last edited:
il take a pick of the connector when i can.
but the thing is an injection moddle and all the ecu bypasses i can see are non injection only.

im tempted to tell him to sell it as it is to be honest.
i dont like the ugly thing

updating this i did eventually just repace the caps i could see had exploded and it seemed to fix the issue.
still broken though "wont send fule through to the injector" but that is how it was when he got it and we did manage to get it to send fule through by removing the throttle body sensor 1ce.

still probably the ecu's fault but for now the ecu is back to working how it was when he got it.

Hi ShamblesS1980 - Its a been a while since you posted but I have a Jetforce 125 with an broken ECU - same vintage so and the board is definately the same as the attachment.

Effectively the TPS circuit is Kaput - the TPS itself is fine. I've pulled the ECU but it is covered with a silicone rubber potting compound. I'd like to attempt a repair but this compound is defeating me. Was the the Elystar ECU not potted or do you have a magic bullet to remove this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom