Which screws for A1200 motherboard?

everblue

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
MALTA
What kind of screws (depth length perhaps would help) do I need to fit an A1200 motherboard properly inside the case? Thanks! (y)

@everblue

Here are a few pics.

These are based on this specific rev2B A1200, which I got with the warranty seal intact so I would assume this is the factory default configuration.
Type #1 can be replaced with #2 however without problems (I would suspect it's still better to use the longer #1 type as the screw-hole is probably longer for a purpose).

Note the flap used for screw #3.

Attachments

• Screws.jpg
    Screws.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Outside.JPG
    Outside.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 186
Aaaah I don't have the flap so I guess that is why I cannot get screw #3 to tighten.

Nice screw guide BLTCON0, that's exactly as it should be, the ones for the LED are usually slightly shorter again :)

@everblue
If you don't have the flap, you can just use a suitably sized nut (see photo).

@Steve
I think the LED mounting screws are actually exactly the same as type #2, let me check again.

Edit: Yep, they're identical to #2 on this system, but surely slightly shorter would work too as long as the thread pitch is the same.

It should also be noted that since rev 1D.4 motherboards lack the rightmost part of the PCB (which has the mouse port) found on the other revisions, the mounting bracket for the floppy drive should be fixed slightly to the left (floppy drives do have a matching side hole there).
Accordingly, cases made for the 1D.4 motherboard (probably all the cases made by Amiga Technologies?) have the screw-hole equally moved to the left.

Attachments

• Nut_vs_flap.jpg
    Nut_vs_flap.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Actually it is the the bottom left screw which I cannot get to tighten (not the one which goes through the motherboard). I just keeps turning :( - most probably the hole grooves are worn out. Is there a way to fix this?

Yes, this newer photo I posted is of the bottom-left screw.

It's just from another A1200 I have, for which I also didn't have the flap.

There are no threads for that screw on the case - the threads are provided by the flap.

I mean the bottom left screw of the case, not the motherboard one. The one under the text reading "Nut instead of flap".

Last edited:
Well, then maybe the thread is indeed worn out.
Easiest workaround would be inserting a thin plastic strip along with the screw, to make the hole narrower so the screw gets a better squeeze.
Do not use a thicker screw!
If you want a permanent fix, you can fill the hole with some hardening substance (araldit superglue for example, or even better find someone who works with plastics) and then carefully drill a new hole with the thinnest drill bit (thinner than the screw), then drive the screw back into place so it will carve new threads of the appropriate pitch.

Last edited:
Yeah I have to try one of these, holes are so worn out that one of the screws just falls off when i turn the A1200 back with keyboard facing up. Drive me nuts.

@BLTCON0

@BLTCON0

Thanx BLTCON0:)

Your Photos were very helpful in my case,too since I had the same problem.Thank you so much:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom