Modbo V4.0 - I feel the newbness...

MajinCry

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Scotland
Hullo folks. Happened on this forum whilst searching 'bout the Modbo V4.0 modchip for the PS2; Eurasia is selling them on the cheap and I do wish to give my ol' consoles some loving.

I haven't the faintest idea what's involved with installing a modchip. I've built many a computer and done a bunch o' software stuff, but nothing involving soldering and the like.

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on the procedures and what is required? I've found an image of what is supposedly by a diagram, but it's painfully obvious that it was made with non-newbs in mind. Much like Ikea's diagrams.

Here's the image, for those interested. sksapps [dot] com/diagrams/ps2/Modbo4/V9-usa.jpg

the ps2's arent for the faint hearted. lots of small points to solder.
not exceptionally difficult. but not really for a 1st time soldering iron user either..

one tip..
dont super glue everything down after your done and have checked it all works like i did the 1st time i installed one..
it eats the sheilding on the wire shorts everything out, and if you dont let it dry properly 1st its a bit conductive so not going to have a good time lol.

i usually use hot glue, but for some reason chose super glue for that project.
was not my best idea ever.:picard

Last edited:
I'll agree with the gent above, ps2 modding + no solder experience don't mix well...
but if you are determined to do it, be sure to chose the ALTERNATE A-B-G-I-H points and not use the ones on the controller IC, they are more difficult. Assess the situation and if you think you can solder on the BIOS points (on sqare #3) then go for it :)
Use flux (important!), good leaded solder and a good 15-20W soldering iron :)

Last edited:
Your best bet is to get something from the trash to get your
skills in soldering then move on to your PS2..(y)

:coffee:

I seriously wouldn't bother chipping the PS2 these days - I've got a slim PS2 that I installed a DMS4 Pro chip about 8 years ago as well as fitting an HD Connect IDE expansion. Using ToxicOS to load games from HD it worked fantastic.

I also picked up an original phat PS2 about 2 years ago and just did a Free MC Boot exploit. I'm using Open PS2 Loader with that (along with a HDD / Ethernet interface) and it does everything the chipped console does (region free etc.).

As long as the exploited memory card is in the primary slot, it works the same as the chipped console does. The *only*, and I mean *only* fly in the ointment are the very few games that refuse to save to anything other than the primary card (Front Mission 4/5 is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head right now) - so you may have to do a small amount of copying back and forth, if you use a big memory card as your primary savegame device.

I fully recommend the free mcboot and hdd setup but the main problem with free mcboot is the inability to boot PS1 backups from HDD (i know you can use pops but its not the easiest) or disc. I have my PS2 setup with free mcboot and hdd but hate having to switch over to the ps1 to play an older game. I'm planning on modding my ps2 so i can have the best of both worlds.

If you're interested in playing PS1 backups keep an eye on PSIO (http://ps-io.com/) - it's a device that attaches to the parallel port of the original Playstation with SATA/SD storage and is very near production.

There's also a similar DCIO development going on from some of the same people for the Dreamcast, now *those* two things will be interesting! :)

Back
Top Bottom