Is it safe to plug/unplug PCMCIA cards?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I was just wondering if it's safe to plug and unplug PCMCIA cards while the Amiga is turned on, or it's better to do that before switched her on?

Its safe I guess. I do it all the time.

Last edited:
As far as I know it is safe and sometimes I had to do so in order to have a pcmcia network card "seen" by the system.
However, if it is possible, I plug/unplug them when the computer is off.

It's safe. In fact, the power rails are a different length to the rest of the connectors for this very reason.

That said, whether your OS and drivers support P&P on the PCMCIA interface is another matter. The Amiga should be pretty good in this regard though.

it is safe to do it while its on,as long as your not writing to it.

My Amiga sometimes resets spontaneously when I plug in a card, but electrically it is safe.

The PCMCIA standard was designed to be hot swapable.

As Roy says dont do it during data writing should be fine.

I always unplug my CF in my PCMCIA adapator whilst switched on, as I run between the PC and Amiga transferring gaming goodness.

Thanks for the answers lads. Actually with the PCMCIA transfer kit, after with the Archos Overdrive CD-ROM and now with WiFi PCMCIA cards, too much traffic for my PCMCIA slot. :LOL:

I wish there was a PCMCIA 3-way extension, so that I don't damage my internal PCMCIA slot with plugging/unplugging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom