fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I posted this guide over at EAB and at the request of Zetr0 I am also posting here :)

Enjoy!

Guide to setting up Network/Internet connection on A1200/A600*

This guide is the basic steps that I followed to setup Internet access on my A1200 with the following hardware, if you have different hardware the some of the steps may also differ. This guide only covers the automatic detection of settings; there will be a further guide for setting up manually should you encounter a problem.

This guide also assumes you have basic knowledge of navigating your way around the Workbench and have the facility to transfer files to your Amiga.

Hardware used in this guide:

A1200 with 3.1 Rom and 68030 Accelerator + 64mb Ram
Netgear MA401 16bit PCMCIA WiFi Network Card

Note also tested on *A600 with 3.1 Rom and Apollo 630 + 32mb Ram running CWB ADV* (You will need at least an 020 on your A600 for this guide)

Software required:

Classic Workbench ADV SP, CWB Full & CWB ADV
MiamiDX – Included with CWB however requires installation.
The Prism2 driver is also available from Aminet.

Download links:

http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm
http://aminet.net/driver/net/prism2.lha

Optional File's (Recommended for A1200)

http://aminet.net/util/boot/CardPatch.lha
http://aminet.net/util/boot/CardReset.lha

Getting started:

Assuming you have installed Classic Workbench, the first thing we need to do is install MiamiDX and the Prism2 drivers.

Power on the Amiga and follow the steps below:

• From the main workbench screen double click on the transparent ‘Drawers’ Icon that is at the bottom of the Workbench screen, this will bring up a menu with a selection of options.
• Click on ‘My Files’ and browse to the ‘Install’ Folder
• You should see an Drawer for MiamiDX 10 browse to this drawer and run the installer.
• Follow the on screen instructions and complete the install to your chosen location.
• Assuming you've downloaded the Prism2 archive and transferred it to your Amiga we need to install this now.
• Locate the archive ‘Prism2.lha’ and extract the contents to a temporary location.
• Navigate to the Prism2 folder and run the installer, following the instructions on screen.
• We now need to modify the startup-sequence and enter the SSID and network Key that will be used to connect to the access point.
• Locate your startup-sequence file, this will be in SYS:S/ *I suggest making a backup of this file in case anything goes wrong*
• Open the file and locate the following line: “run >NIL: C:CardReset TICKS 50”
• Leave a space below this line and then enter on a new line the following:

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxx KEY xxxxxxxxxx

• SSID is the name of your Network, mine is BeBox KEY is the 10 digit network key that you use to connect, I did not enter any dashes or spaces in the key. **Some people have reported problems with Alphanumeric keys, so you may need to change your key to Numeric only however my key is Alphanumeric**
• Your network security must be WEP, WPA is not support by the Prism2 driver.
• Now save the file and power down your Amiga

In the next section we will setup MiamiDX with its built in Wizard. Insert your Network Card into the PCMCIA slot and Power on you Amiga. Follow the below steps:

• Locate the directory you installed MiamiDX to and run ‘MiamiInit’ this is the setup Wizard.
• Read the welcome message and press continue.
• Choose 'Ethernet, Cable/ADSL modem' from the options below and press continue.
• Choose ‘Other’ and press continue
• Enter prism2.device and the ‘Device’ field and press continue
• At this point MiamiDX should find your IP Address/Subnet Mask, press continue
***If MiamiDX did not find your settings its possible you entered your Network ID or Key wrong, you may wish to check these and try again.****
• Assuming it found your IP Address press Return
• Assuming it found your Subnet Mask press Return
• MiamiDX should now find your default Gateway, press Return
• It will now verify with the DNS server, my provider did not appear to support DNS recovery, I just hit ‘Skip’
• Give your connection a name and press Return
• Enter your name and a username and press continue, if you don’t want to print your settings i.e if you don’t have a printer uncheck the print box or else like my first try MiamiDX will probably crash now…
• Your settings should now be saved and the program should close

Now that the default settings have been detected we can run MiamiDX and get online.

• If you need to, navigate to the directory where you installed MiamiDX and run ‘MiamiDX’ from the Icon.
• Press ok and now right click, from the project bar choose settings and ‘Import settings from MiamiInit’
• Press OK.
• You should see a message that the settings have been imported.
• Press ‘Online’
• You should see a message telling you that you are online.

Now you can test your connection out by running a Web Browser, AWeb is pre installed on CWB ADV SP, right click and choose Run>Programs>AWeb. Type in a web address and see how you get on!

Remember before exiting Miami to save the settings as default so you don't have to import from Miamiinit each time.

Good Luck, hopefully you can now enjoy Web browsing on your Amiga.

Last edited:
Steve

Excellent Tutorial my friend...

Guess who's earned a Sticky ;)

TC :LOL:

@Steve

Fantastic Stuff!!!

A huge thanks for posting!!!

plagiarism

don`t look now but some one called Fitzsteve over at EAB has written something very similar :cool::cool::cool:

Just as a curiosity, it can be made work in a bare A1200, without turbocard (I did it xD) although, you end up with around 50kb free memory. A solution (in case you want, somereason to conect wirelessly in a bare 1200), is to use amitcp with some hacking so it can make use of prism2... If someone is really interested, I can dig to see how I did it in its time xD I think I even have a picture around xD.

that would indeed be very interesting indeed!

AmiTCP is also compatible with the A600 =D

I would be interested to see how you redirected (piped) its default coded serial modem input to use the PCMCIA NIC =)

Excellent work Steve , I'll be going thru your guide this weekend if my netgear 401 :)

Stand by for tantrums and hissy fits!!

I believe that Fitzy should be given his own subsection in AmiOracle for all his guides. They are quite a valuable asset to the community and deserve more than just "sticky" (ooer missus!) status.

I believe that Fitzy should be given his own subsection in AmiOracle for all his guides. They are quite a valuable asset to the community and deserve more than just "sticky" (ooer missus!) status.

Hey thanks bud!

Maybe when I've written a few more :cool:

Cheers!

Steve.

Hey thanks bud!

Maybe when I've written a few more :cool:

Cheers!

Steve.

Shhhh ... trying to get you god like status here and you're messing it up lol

@ mods ... please ignore Steve and his ramblings, his medication has worn off and we are expectig the nurse to arrive soon :)

Excellent guide!

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxx KEY xxxxxxxxxx

If you (like me) use your mobile phone as a wifi hotspot, don't forget to add ADHOC to the above line. Took me a good solid hour until I figured that out. :ninja:

Now it works like a charm and I have teh internetz at demo parties. (y)

Steves Nurse with medication Now that dose explane a few amiga related things ;)

I am posting this message using my Amiga 1200, Etherlink III Lan PC CARD pcmcia ethernet 3c589.device
I parly followed your guide but I had to give up using the miamiinit because it would always stall after dns failing.

Anyways, I just set all the ip, gateway and dns manually and here I am!

Great! Thanks

Miami is fine! I was using it a lot on my 4000PPC and my first 1200PPC. Is it still available? Can I download it from somewhere?

Great! Thanks

Miami is fine! I was using it a lot on my 4000PPC and my first 1200PPC. Is it still available? Can I download it from somewhere?

Miami DX10 and Key can be found inside all Classic Workbench packs from FULL upwards (y)

(look inside MyFiles) :coffee:

When I try to run Miami Init it always crashes at the very last stage. I have tried un-checking everything except the config file itself but it hangs the entire system and I am forced to reboot. After I reboot no config file has been saved. I tried changing the destination to RAM: but same result.

I guess it's a manual job for me.

BH.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Tried setting up manually. I can connect okay, and I can ping website IPs, but whenever I try to browse to a website I get DNS errors. I added the correct DNS server. I also experience this issue with Easynet, which is why I decided to try MIAMI in the first place.

Additionally, every time I select 'offline' MIAMI hangs the system.

That's it for me for today - I'm all tried out! Any suggestions feel free to post them and I'll gladly pick them up when I have another go.

Cheers all,

BH.

Okay I am now typing this message from my A1200 but in the end I only managed to get DNS working with the Genesis TCP/IP stack. Still not sure why it wouldn't work on MiamiDX yet but in fairness I didn't get to look into it too far due to the hang-up issues. Will have to revisit it after a reinstall as it would be interesting to get Miami working again - you can lots more with it than with Genesis.

BH

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom