PCMCIA CF and "No Disk Present"

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi :)

A few months ago I tried using an SD card & adapter with my A1200 & A600.
When trying to access CF0 (after mounting if of course) I always got the error "no disk present in device CF0".

At the time I opened a thread about this over at EAB, and came the the conclusion that my adapter is probably the culprit (I did try several types of SD cards).

Fast forward to last week, I decided to try again but this time I bought a 128MB CF card & adapter.
I'm getting the exact same error again :censored:

Is it just extremely bad luck on my part? :help:

I think I remember this one!

Is it an A1200 you're using? Do you have the card reset patches installed?

Steve.

Hi Steve

I tried it on both my A1200 & A600, the A1200 has the PCMCIA reset fix in HW (added capacitor on Gayle pin 5), the A600 has the SW patch.

Both are running ClassicWB with cfd & fat95 installed.

The A600 don't need any patch to run PCMCIA hardware.

Did you have installed Squirrel software on those machines? The Hisoft's Squirrel is very envy of the PCMCIA port and will not allow anything mounted on it besides the Surf-Squirrel or Squirrel-SCSI.

Hi rkauer

I remember installing a patch on the A600 that solved a problem of WB getting really slow whenever a PCMCIA card is plugged in, it could be something else than the reset patch, cant remember right now.

Both machines are running a vanilla installation of ClassicWB, the only stuff I added is the cfd & fat95 file-system.

Btw, is there another CF driver besides cfd?

Card Patch (from Aminet). It only affect LAN cards.

Hello All,
Rather than starting a new thread thought I would resurrect this one! I have this problem.

A1200 with DKB 1202. Ive tried 8mb with Magicmem program, and I've tried just 4mb. I have CF0: in DEVS:Dosdrivers, I have the FAT95 in L, I have compactflash.device in devs. Boot menu shows the CC0 (i assume as it hasnt loaded and device drivers etc it shows as CC0 not CF0). CF0 shows as a device, however it reports "No disk Present in device CF0:". Ive tried cardpatch and cardreset, but I think they are not for CF0, but I tried them anyway!

I have tried 5 compact flash disks ranging from a 4MB (yes Megabyte!) to a 8GB, all different brands. Ive tried formating with both FAT and FAT32....all to no avail. Somehow Ive managed to waste 3hours of my life installing, rebooting, formatting, copying.....rebooting and rebooting some more!

Any ideas? Please?

Oh, the CF card adaptor came from Vesalia...but I am trusting this makes no difference at all....

Hi voyager_1701e, there are two versions of CFD on Aminet, try the other one and see if that helps (y)

Hi Steve,
I tried both 1.27 off the install disk and 1.25 off Aminet, unfortunately no go. I thought I would try a different machine, so I grabbed the A600 you sold me, hopeful, plugged in the card...no go :(

I remembered I had a PCI PCMCIA card, so I tore apart my PC (OK I took the unscrewed cover off :) )...installed...stuck in the card adapter...it worked :(

I'm stumped. Unless I simply have 5 CF cards that dont like the Amiga.....I really have no other ideas.

Thanks
Ash

---------- Post added 6th April 2014 at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was 5th April 2014 at 23:56 ----------

OK....total progress made! It now works!

When I tried it in the 600, I used only tried 1 card. And wouldn't you believe it, that 1 card is the only 1 that doesn't work with the Amiga!

So I had already unplugged it....I tried the card adapter in the PC....then thought Id try one of the other cards in the 600...plugged it all back in.....and it works! I tried 3 cards and they all worked! I tried the 1 card I tried in the 600 the first time...and it didn't work! OMG!

So I plugged the 1200 back in, expecting to have to troubleshoot it...but nope.....it now works too! WTF???? 2 thoughts.....black magic (the PC did it on the adapter when I plugged it into the PC)...or more likely....unplugging the 1200 from power maybe allowed all the circuits to discharge, so when I plugged it in something had reset properly?

That's why we all love the Amiga.....Sometimes it just works.,...sometimes it just doesn't....then it does :)

Ahh, Amiga Black magic - Yes this is normal :LOL:

this might sound silly,but could you try a third party format util instead of using windows to format the cf?

i had problems when windows did it for me.

Its all working now, thanks Roy. The format could have been a problem, but lucky it was simply black magic this time around :)

Now to get the DKB1202 to play nice with the PCMCIA and 8mb.....

Back
Top Bottom