Trouble locating an IC

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I have a knock off MegaDrive 2 and accidentally used a wrong PSU with different polarity and it smoked and died.

I opened it up and found one of the ICs cracked. It is marked mik34063a which seems to be some DC DC converter.

Can't find it on the other bay, only on alibaba. Is there an equivalent that's easier to find ?

Yes it looks exactly like that but instead of MC it's MIK. Is it the same ?

Not at the moment as I'm not at home. I'll open the MegaDrive and take a pic later on when I'm back.

The MIK / MC bit is just the manufacturers name, the MC34063A should be an exact equivalent of the MIK version.

Bryce.

e8e9ujuj.jpg

Pic attached. The chip is split

it will work(y)

if there is any diodes before this check that as well.

it will work(y)

if there is any diodes before this check that as well.

Will this do ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pcs-MC3...345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d028c69c9

I've removed mine and it is a DIP package not SOP just like the one i linked above.

No idea if any diodes are gone. If i power it up with the new IC i guess it will either work or not work right depending if anything else is damaged or not no ?

if it had diodes before it to protect it they/it are toast.

not familiar with this console myself,but its very easy to check tracing back from the ic to the input jack.

and just do a diode check if one is present reverse the probes and check again.it should only beep in one direction.

Last edited:
The IC's (there was the IC i need x5) arrived about a week ago. I removed the old and soldered a new one using my crappy solder skills and now it is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom