Blogger
Rating - 100%
1041   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi!

I'm going to try and get my old Gaming rig back up and running as a stripped down WinXP machine for 00's Games and Emulation, sadly my ABIT A8N Motherboard is toast.

So I need a similar Motherboard, it must be socket 939, take DDR400 Ram and PCI-E for my 9600GT. I know a lot of these were AGP so he PCI-E ones are a little harder to find, my old board was SLI capable but this isn't necessary as I will only run this one graphics board. It must be compatible with the FX/X2 chips.

I have everything else so I just need the board, I'm not looking to spend much, ideally swap something from my collection, just let me know what you have and what you need and I'll make you an offer.

It's really frustrating as there are a lot listed on eBay but they are all unrealistic BIN prices, I'll lookout for an auction but of course trying here as well.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Bah, thought I had one for you - I had an Asus A8R-MVP boxed as new except I must have swapped that into a PC at some point and my Abit UL8 is in there instead. Its about the only last gen 939 board thats still AGP cos I was running an AGP X1950 back then and didn't want to fork out on a massive upgrade.

Still its yours if you want it - might be easier finding a cheap AGP card into your system than finding a cheap 939 board that ticks all the boxes.

Thanks for the kind offer I'll give it some thought but ideally I'd like to use my 9600GT instead of a slower AGP card.

Cheers!

Steve.

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm opening this search up to the possibility of other options now, I can also consider a Montherboard, CPU and Ram bundle, I'm looking for similar spec I know that the Intel stuff and socket AM2 are cheaper then 939/DDR400 stuff so it might be a more viable option. Only must have is PCI Express 16x for my 9600GT.

If anyone is interested I can part ex/trade my faulty ABIT AN8 Fatal1ty board along with the 2gb OCZ Gold and AMD 4400+

I have the front 5.25 bay for the Motherboard and the driver CD and some accessories, I also have the box for the CPU, I think it has the unused original heatsink/fan but I can supply the one seen in the below thread linked.

See my old sale thread:

https://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p=584689&postcount=5

Thanks for looking (y)

Last edited:
If you don't have a spare cpu or RAM try booting the board without them in it - if its the same with no CPU then the chances are you have a faulty or possibly overheating cpu (tbh it sounds like thermal protection cutting in and killing power so you don't fry the cpu). The board should throw beep codes out if its posting without either CPU or RAM.

If you don't have a spare cpu or RAM try booting the board without them in it - if its the same with no CPU then the chances are you have a faulty or possibly overheating cpu (tbh it sounds like thermal protection cutting in and killing power so you don't fry the cpu). The board should throw beep codes out if its posting without either CPU or RAM.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not looking to do anymore trouble shooting, I just want to swap it out for a working setup.

poped in to say that the 4670 AGP card is not far off your 9600Gt's preformance (probably 10% or so slower which could easily be rectified just using the over clocking function in catalist controll center) But its probably going to cost a fortune if you could even find one. so best to just try and get pci-e compatible.

with a 9600Gt i dont think you would notice much if any diference if it had pci-e slot running at 8x by the way.

i have a E2160 (1.8ghz core 2 duo) here you can have for postage costs if you can find a board for it that has no cpu.. (socket 775)
Not a bad cpu, but definatly not a very good cpu in my mind.
so if you need it just let me know.

p.s
it should be about right for a 9600Gt gpu, and it is overclockable, seen lots get them to 3.2ghz personaly id aim for about 2.6 if i was going to over clock it. I Dont think i have a heat sink for it but i may have. and if you need one i will dig it out.

hope that helps a bit atleast.

Last edited:
I have a couple of Abit A8N's here, Steve. They aren't the Fatal1ty versions but they do work. Let me dig one out over the weekend, and check it and we can maybe work something out.

Was the mini-PCI sound card with yours still OK or are you using another sound card?

I have a couple of Abit A8N's here, Steve. They aren't the Fatal1ty versions but they do work. Let me dig one out over the weekend, and check it and we can maybe work something out.

Was the mini-PCI sound card with yours still OK or are you using another sound card?

Hi Dave, that would be fantastic, I have the mini Sound Card, I think that should still be working :)

I await your news (y)

Last edited:
Hi Rishca,

Thanks for the offer, I want to wait for Merlin to see what he has and tbh I prefer UK due to shipping costs.

Cheers.

Sorry Steve, with a knackered shoulder it's not safe for me to go into the loft and look. I've definitely got two boards and they both are working. As soon as I am able to, I'll get up there and retrieve one.

This is no longer needed, I've got rid of the PC Tower now.

Hope you're feeling better Merlin, no need to stress over this anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom