A1200 help : noboot

Matteo76

Country
Italy
Region
Bologna
Hi guys ... I have a big problem with my A1200

- yesterday work perfectly with kick 3.0 and cf cards
- today i try to replace kick 3.1 and an aca accelerator but now the amiga don't boot and dosn,t work

I try to replace old kick , disconnect ide and cf and aca ... Nothing , black screen on 1084

Someone can help me?

Does it boot without the ACA?

If not did you fit the KS correctly?

If it boots but not with the ACA have you tried another PSU?

Have you cleaned the expansion connector?

Doe is boot if you pull the ACA back off the connector about 1mm?

If not maybe your Amiga needs timing fixes to use an ACA12xx :coffee:

I try without aca istantly ... And with an A500 psu ...

So ... Its a simply A1200 withou ide and cf ... And don't show any kickstart page

I have put my kick correctly (both aligned to right with free last pin to the left)

With kickstart 3.1 you have to wait up to 30 seconds for the kickstart screen.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

Ok, but i'm inserted the previous 3.0 kick ...
Power Led green
Keyboard with Caps/lock active (so i think that keyboard are ok)
No Boot
Blank Screen

:(

At this stage I think it's probably time to get someone to look at your A1200 board for any issues like leaking capacitors or other faults.

does the power led dim and come back to normal when you do a soft reset?

No Roy , it remain Green...

At this stage I think it's probably time to get someone to look at your A1200 board for any issues like leaking capacitors or other faults.

Someone have a new board ? :(

Last edited:
ROMs

ROMs

Looks like inserted correctly, You should flatten all pins and make sure they are not bent. Press each side against a flat surface with a flat blade. And apply even pressure as uniformly as you can when reinserting. I had black screen when 1 rom was not seated snug enough. You have to press firmly.

I've try connecting wire (lol) to every pin (bypassing the socket) and all is perfect.

That would mean that my kickstart socket need to be replaced with a new 40pin , right?

your sockets are just probably oxidised after 20 years:blink:
need to clean them up and also clean the legs on the roms,sometimes pushing the roms in and out of the sockets half a dozen times helps with the contact between them

Last edited:
Thread moved to AmiOracle as a more suitable place considering the subject matter.

i would replace the kickstart sockets if i was you,just be careful mate.

its really easy to lift traces and via's.

yes mate those are are the right ones.

or you could get the round pin type for better connection.

a simple way to get them out is to break up the socket into smaller bits using flush cutters/wire cutters and remove them a bit at a time and remove the solder from the via's ready for new ones.
you just have to be careful not to scrape the pcb though when cutting them up into bits..

EDIT,cant see the pin spacing or row spacing in the listing,best to check before paying.

Last edited:
I have a couple of these if you want them just for the postage, they are the round hole type like Roy suggested

40 pin sockets.jpg

Back
Top Bottom