dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
The specs for an official Japanese Super Famicom power supply are:

Model: HVC-002
DC: 10V 850MA

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/9/3/6/6/6/webimg/631694310_o.jpg?nc=186

On mine i'm using a cheap universal AC/DC adapter which outputs 9V 1000MA.

The Super Famicom works fine but after 20-30 minutes the power supply gets hot and makes a slight smell and after another 10-15 minutes i start seeing some slight vertical banding sort of like |||| but curvy (lol).

Is my uni psu bad or just cause its cheap not good enough ?

Any recommendations or should I go for an official PSU and get a step-down transformer ?

Side note: I also use this PSU on my NTSC USA Super NES and for some reason using PAL games (with Datal Universal adapter) the games show a lot of graphical glitches. There are no such glitches on the Japanese SNES. USA games work fine on the USA SNES.

Last edited:
you might be overloading the power supply,or its just bad quality

i'll have look at the original.

ujahe5u4.jpg

Notice this pic of my psu says 50hz. The official one says 50/60hz

What is VA ? My uni psu is max 12VA but the official Famicom one says 18VA

duge8ehy.jpg
meruhupy.jpg

I'm trying out this one I found in my adapters box. It doesn't specify AC or DC. It seems to work fine so far.

Is it good ? Is it overkill ?

on my neo geo I use the orignal 110v psu with a stepdown transformer,they are cheap small and work !

if it has a polarity its dc.(dont read too much into that comment you lot)

it will be fine i reckon,it will only use what it needs.

actually,the unit DOES state if its ac or dc,if you look on the case the straight line with dots under it is dc a ~ is ac.
which,if you happen to have one,is what dc would look like on a scope if you look at the peak readings with out the vertical trace.(ac looks like a ~ on a analogue scope going above and below the center of the screen horizontally as it oscillates at 50-60 hz in a wave)
i hope i explained it correctly,it is early :LOL:

oh,and VA means,the measurement of a value of power in an electrical circuit, equal to the product of root mean square.(Volt Ampere)
not much use in a DC circuit mainly used for AC circuits,transformers etc.

i suppose i could of just said VA means Volt Ampere,but that wouldnt of made anymore sense than the answer i already gave.

Last edited:
Mega drive psi

Mega drive psi

I use an original mega drive psu with my superfamicom and works fine.

Still doing it... Like i said it doesn't do it right away but more like after 20-30 mins or so.

Could it be the RGB cable ? I'm using a Gamecube RGB cable.

It's not the TV as that is fine with my other consoles.

i dont think its the rgb cable.

can you take a picture of the regulators inside the console?
not the psu.

buvysegu.jpg

6ehutara.jpg

There you go

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Side note: No funny smells from the console itself and its not particularly hot either. Its barely even warm. Regulator, heatsink and all.

try setting the supply to 12 volts.

you might have a capacitor problem as well,i can only see one and that dont look too healthy or it may be i cant see it properly.

that link should be a fuse? might want to look at that in the future.

and see if you can find the smoothing capacitor for that regulator.

Last edited:
VA (Volt Ampere) = W (Watt) in practical terms. There is differences but I don't want to bore you people to death here.

The cheap universal supply you are using have not 1A of output and that's why it overheats. It will heat a lot until the day it dies, probably taking the appliance connected to it that day.

It seems to working fine now on its own. Maybe it needed some use ?

Back
Top Bottom