C64 paint job

Megamix

Country
UK
Region
St.Helens
Well after getting a A500 and C64 + disk drive that was very Yellowed and after giving it a clean it was hard to tell it had been cleaned it was that yellow so as it was stripped down it was off to the shed tosee what paint I had in.
I re-painted the C64 with what I found in the shed that was close to Amiga colour not C64 colour but as it has a brown Keyboard I think it works well, I may end up doing the C64 Disk Drive too.

I never took a before picture of the C64 but so I took a picture of it with the A500 to give you a idea of how bad the yellowing was, it will look better when I sell it on...:roll:

I`ve now ordered some keyboard stickers ready to do the A500 in Cherry red so that will be my summer project.(y)

Attachments

• C64-2.jpg
    C64-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
  • C 64-3.jpg
    C 64-3.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • C 64.jpg
    C 64.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
its a really nice job you have done there.

the only thing is it doesn't quite look the right colour,it looks closer to the vic 20.

are you going to retrobright the keys? in the future maybe.

its a really nice job you have done there.

the only thing is it doesn't quite look the right colour,it looks closer to the vic 20.

are you going to retrobright the keys? in the future maybe.

Yeah it does look like the vic 20 but after spending a hour or 2 trying to clean the case I just nipped to the shed to see what paint I had and this is the only colour I could find, it was not retrobrighted nor will the keyboard be as it was just a spare of the moment thing, it will only be getting sold when I have tested it with the disk drive.

here is a picture from when I got this lot the C64 box is not in good shape and may end up in the bin, but after testing they all powered on I just started the cleaning and the C64 was first, the A500 has no chance of staying the colour it is and will get a custom spray job.;)

Attachments

• comps.jpg
    comps.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wrong or right tone.. It looks like a job well done and IMHO nicer than some lollipop color ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may end up doing the disk drive the same then sell it in 1 lot...

I think it looks fine! :)
Any Commodore machine getting that much love is a thing to be commended.

Just curious how do you go about to paint those?
Clean the plastic, light sanding then spray with primer + coat or what's your method?

It all depends on what colour you are painting them and what result you are after, with the C64 it was a quick and easy job to do and I had it done in 1 day from start to finish, but with paint you have to remember it takes time for the paint to "cure" or dry fully about 2 weeks in total so the C64 has been put in my loft out of the way.

With the other paint jobs I have done on the Amiga's I have or have had I have posted some pictures for you to look at, the A4000 was only painted to get everything to match look wise as I had to get a standard floppy blanking plate to fit the missing one and the CD rom was also painted to look like it should be there.
The A1200 the "black one" was the easiest one to do but I did fit a blue light in side to give it a extra look.
The A1200 "Metallic cherry red one" (My Fav) was the most pleasurable one to do, this as with all of the Amiga`s had been cleaned with soap and water then using "plastic prep" I made my mind to change the vent and the painting was done with 1st a silver paint as a primmer, then the top paint was applied then the lacquer to harden the paint.
The A600 was done the same way as the Cherry red A1200, I also did a A500 case in blue too same way.
I am at the moment planning to paint my new A1200 "Metallic cherry red" and again do something to make it stand out, I have also picked up a A500 that will also be painted as it is a mess and has yellowed badly over time as you can see from the picture.
hope this has given you some insight to the paint jobs I have done if you have anything you wish to ask please send me a PM I will do my best to reply.
The only other thing I would add is I have in the past sprayed my own car and motorbike and done it as a job in a factory so I`m use to doing it I`m no expert at it but do a fair job.

Attachments

• Amiga 4000 (8).jpg
    Amiga 4000 (8).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Amiga spray job 3 (9).jpg
    Amiga spray job 3 (9).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • Amiga spray job 3 (11).jpg
    Amiga spray job 3 (11).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Amiga spray job 3 (19).jpg
    Amiga spray job 3 (19).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Black Amiga2.jpg
    Black Amiga2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0580.jpg
    DSCF0580.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0597.jpg
    DSCF0597.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0177.jpg
    DSCN0177.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Last picture of the A500 I have to paint....Summer jobs.

Attachments

• DSCN0664.jpg
    DSCN0664.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1
That is a really good paint job, one should be most proud of!

Here is my effort.

6233097174_9120ab11b4_b.jpg

That's looks really nice, with blue and red being commodore colours both work well, it's why I painted my Amiga 1200 red.

Wow, that looks really nice. I really like that blue. Seeing this brings back day dreams of having the means to colour plastic and mould my own cases

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice results for all the machines you pictured!

That A600 looks like a completely different model with the blue paint and black keys!

Would you expand on your your prep work for the paint jobs.....I understand the key is the prep work to getting a good result right?

You know this is what people did before Retrobrite came along! Then it dawns on folk that Retrobrite is not the magic bullet that everyone believed it would be :(
So now we come full circle... well that is how it seems to me lol

So your paintjobs! They look MINT :D

Prep is the KEY here. Prep, prep and prep!

The results will show in the end! There is a really cool bunch of youtube videos from some guy who works on cars and well, the bloke cracks me up lol but he really drives home how to do it right! There is one video regarding metal and paint. If the prep is not done then the paint will just flake off like there is no tomorrow. But prep it right and the paint will stick like the preverbial poo to a blanket lol. Oh and this is from rattle cans you get from halfrauds so it just shows you why and what etc.

I have no suitable area to do my own stuff so its no go here :(

O/P ever thought of doing this as a service for anyone interested?

Thanks for the replies, I never fancied retrobrite as it would just end up going yellow again plus using a Bleech basic liquid on plastic is something I never fancied.
but I wanted to change the colour to making stand out, your right about prep work, but as I have said before to make paint stick you need it clean plus you need to have a key for the paint to stick too, with Amiga's they are rough outside smooth on the inside so it already has a key once cleaned.
im not saying the paint will not chip or flake but if it does your hammering your poor old Amiga:) To much, and you have no chance of it going yellow(unless you fancy a change in colour)

Back
Top Bottom