Amiga 3000 buyers guide, myth buster, and Refit

Can you maybe add some definitive info on whether or not you should/can use a Cyberstorm PPC in a A3000D and whether it requires additional work, i.e. fans, modification, etc.?

Have to say the snappiest accelerator and my personal favorite back in the day with my A3000D was the PP&S Mercury. Had fully populated 32MB 50ns RAM with the CPU running at a full 40MHz. I swear the working burst function to motherboard RAM was the key. It just flew...

Mac

Can you maybe add some definitive info on whether or not you should/can use a Cyberstorm PPC in a A3000D and whether it requires additional work, i.e. fans, modification, etc.?

Hi Timmie,

I recently purchased a Cyberstorm and modified the drive tray and added a ton of heatsinks. I added some notes to help..
Will add more as time goes on.

- - - Updated - - -

Added Prisima and PPC

Hello,

being the owner of first A3000D (never had the money back then), I thank you for the wealth of information concerning this model :)

My A3000 is manufactured in germany, as was my A4000/040 back in the day - so maybe the nordics (i'm from denmark) received them primarily from there.

20171214_224701.jpg

Excellent article.Thanks!We need a guide step by step for Workbench installation for first generation A3000's.
Also Amiga 3000 needs recapping or not?

Thank Macfan. Sadly I have no experience with first gen 3000's. Although, it should be simple. I assume you have Rom towers and that is the issue? I have heard you don't need the tower with newer roms, but you will need to research it to be sure.

The 3000's do not need recapping, never seen a cap fail on a 3000 before...

Update - Been meaning to add lots to this.

Will be more updates as time permits.

Last edited:
Awesome post!

I just dug up my 3000T and while I had battery damage from it I was able to easily fix it with jumping wires after carefully cleaning everything. While I remembered there were revision and combo issues in general, it's nice to see all this curated into a single post.

One thing you could add with the A3640 section is that some revisions of the boards requires changing some caps (the metal ones) that were inverted (still works but could lead to electrolyte leakage in the long run).

@Petter,

Sorry I missed this... I would reach out to Chucky or Hese since they have build MBs.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome post!

I just dug up my 3000T and while I had battery damage from it I was able to easily fix it with jumping wires after carefully cleaning everything. While I remembered there were revision and combo issues in general, it's nice to see all this curated into a single post.

One thing you could add with the A3640 section is that some revisions of the boards requires changing some caps (the metal ones) that were inverted (still works but could lead to electrolyte leakage in the long run).

Thanks, good catch! I will add that in the 3640 info.. What 3000T do you have and where was it made? Nice that you have it working! The T is a one of the best for sure. I need to get the power supply repaired in mine still.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated thumb screws and video cards.

I just updated it a bit, this is going on 10 years old and over 17,000 views... Time flies.

By making the changes and saving in the newer Amibay it now places all the videos in the article. I may go back and delete them to clean it up or make them text.

If anyone has any ideas, fell free to let me know...

Last edited:
The videos are weird. At 1st I thought they were Amiga related, but clicking one realized just trash videos.

We now have custom cases, Re3000's, AA3000+'s, Triton & Freeway USB cards, ReA4091's........amazing times.

Back
Top Bottom