Deactivated
Deactivated
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Country
S
Region
G
Hi folks, as anyone here who knows me - knows that soldering, making PCB's, replacing Caps or cables etc just isn't my thing but I do need a custom cable to be made if at all possible which as far as I can tell from hours of googling - can't be bought. It's a cable that has been damaged that hooks up two circuit boards in a double electric oven. The cable is 5 core (including a spaded earth) and approx 1.8 meters long and shielded in a black sheath - similar material to a kettle lead. I think the difficult bit is the little connectors at each end. They are both approx 1cm square but are also both different. I've taken as good photo's as I can and can send the original cable off to anyone who is willing to make me a new one (or use components of the original to create a new one from)?

I of course expect this to be chargeable if indeed someone can do this.

Let me know - you'd be helping me out big style!

Cheers

John

Attachments

• WP_20150218_010.jpg
    WP_20150218_010.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_009.jpg
    WP_20150218_009.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_008.jpg
    WP_20150218_008.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_006.jpg
    WP_20150218_006.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_004.jpg
    WP_20150218_004.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_002.jpg
    WP_20150218_002.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150218_001.jpg
    WP_20150218_001.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
I assume that the vendor of the oven told you to buy a new oven, or tried to rip you off in a horrible way?
I think that recycling the connectors is the best way, since there are a zillion different types, and most of them are also custom made.
But what happened to the cable, to render it damaged?

I think there are a lot of crafty blokes over (t)here in the UK, and failing that, I might take a shot at it.

Hey Beavis, yep it's exactly that. They can't supply the cable (or won't) and saying it's a new oven! Where the cable runs from one oven to the next is next to a hinge and over time because the cable length is quite tight, I guess it's just worn one of the cores away or snapped it. I could probably resplice that bit of cable but if someone could make a new one or use parts from this one to make a new one - it would be great :)

Cheers

John

You could ask Roy Bates, he made up some cables for me - I'm sure he'll see this thread though :)

Thanks Steve - hopefully :)

Hey - looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow / Saturday (not sure when you're coming to Cheltenham) :)

John

Same John, will be great to catch up and play you at Sensi/IK+ :)

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon.

hi mate,send me the cables and ill have a look at it.

ill send you a pm with my address.

just tell me the sizes you want them,ill only need the original one for reference i assume it needs to be wired the same way?

Thanks Roy - you're a star! Just replied to your PM and yeah it will need wired the same way :)

John

no worries,ill try to get this sorted as fast as possible:)

EDIT: ill have to get some appropriately rated cable for it,ill wait for the original first.

Last edited:
The cable might use high-temp wire, depending on where it is used. If not, you can use the cores of a standard 3x 0.75mm or 3x 1mm power cable.

Bryce.

Hi folks, as anyone here who knows me - knows that soldering, making PCB's, replacing Caps or cables etc just isn't my thing but I do need a custom cable to be made if at all possible which as far as I can tell from hours of googling - can't be bought. It's a cable that has been damaged that hooks up two circuit boards in a double electric oven. The cable is 5 core (including a spaded earth) and approx 1.8 meters long and shielded in a black sheath - similar material to a kettle lead. I think the difficult bit is the little connectors at each end. They are both approx 1cm square but are also both different. I've taken as good photo's as I can and can send the original cable off to anyone who is willing to make me a new one (or use components of the original to create a new one from)?

I of course expect this to be chargeable if indeed someone can do this.

Let me know - you'd be helping me out big style!

Cheers

John

maybe we could make this at geekfest? Maplins is just down the road for components :)

your cable is here mate,ive ordered the replacement cable for it...i see what you meant mate,lol...the whole cable isnt in shot:)

ill wire it up when it arrives,ill just send you a pm:)

Last edited:
ive made the cable,is it any good to you?

its a bit thicker than the original,ill send you pm as i dont know where you are mate.

attachment.php

Hi mate, sorry, I've been in catch up mode today. That looks great! Doesn't look too much thicker? I see your PM - so will go and read that now :)

no worries bud:)

ill find out the postage for it tomorrow or Wednesday,ive got to do a bit of running around.
ill let you know after that mate:)

ive found some time to get this out the way...

ive sent a pm john,the cable is already on its way to you:)

And arrived :) Will fit it over the weekend or early next week. Thanks again for doing this for me :) Leaving feedback now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom