Not open for further replies.

sysop

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Indiana
In 2007, a Donkey Kong emulator was released for the Tandy Color Computer 3, which otherwise is a rather unsensational micro. However, the Donkey Kong emulator for the CoCo 3 is a remarkable port of the arcade machine. No other release of Donkey Kong for any other micro nor console was ever done this well, short of actual MAME emulation.

stage_2b.png
stage_4b.png

http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dkremix/index.html

I saw this recently running on a CoCo at the ECCC and was blown away. The sound, color, and game play were spot on. The remixed version is even more amazing and is really tough. I've since been playing the crap out of it via the VCC emulator. I'm considering getting a CoCo 3 just for the DK ports alone, and an SD cart similar to what SD2IEC is for the c64. The buy in is relatively inexpensive, where the CoCo SDC looks like a really nice cart and is still available.

What's not readily available however is an Atari 9 Pin joystick adapter. So I drafted a tiny one up last night that should fit in a 9 pin D-Sub shell. It adapts an Atari style D-Sub 9 connector on one end to a male Din 6 on the other end to plug in to the CoCo 3. I don't have a CoCo 3 yet, but I'm considering having these 9 Pin adapter PCB's printed to justify the acquisition. I can then use a TAC 2 or any other Atari type joystick with the CoCo 3, which is really a prerequisite, as the native Tandy sticks are analog.

The circuit is based on the one posted on the CoCo wiki. If anyone would like to crowd fund this with me, I can compile some kits and even solder up some full adapters if there's interest. I'm thinking $6 for a kit or $12 for a built adapter plus shipping .. the usual $5 domestic, overseas via USPS depending on location. With 10 confirmed pledges, I can submit the PCB for fabrication. The group buy is also being offered over at lemon64, where I'll likely do the one run and that will be all.

Last edited:
I have you down for two. I plan to submit the PCB's to fabrication at the end of the week. Interest here is being pooled with those from where it's been posted elsewhere and so far it's a go. I anticipate getting PCB's back by the end of the month and will assemble and test then on my newly acquired coco 3. So the plan is to ask for follow through on pledged interest after testing is complete and I've posted some pics. I may or may not have parts and PCB's for any late interest expressed, but spare PCB's are likely and interest is of course welcome anytime.

Cooliez - thanks. Please PM me when they are a go and/or payment is required.

The PCB's are in ..

Still need to order the SMT parts from Mouser. Hope to be testing the adapters next week ..

Well, I've been busy with other stuff and have been putting off the assembly of these adapters for a couple of weeks now. I've soldered up one and it's working well. My plan is to contact those who have expressed interest when I'm ready to ship an assembled adapter or two, moving down the list at random. Only a dozen are being made, so it should be soon.

Here's the reference build diagram for those building their own ..

I've tested the final build on my CoCo 3 and it's working great.

Last edited:
One partial kit remains ..

Includes the PCB, male DB9 connector, metal DIN6 connector, metal D-Sub hood, cable and resistors. Has everything that's needed except the SMD 4066. All the hard work has been done, with digital joystick adapters being rare at best for the CoCo micros. This final kit allows one to easily build a high quality digital joystick adapter. The group buy here will be closed with the sale of this last kit. Anyone interested in purchasing a run of PCB's to assemble and distribute their own CoCo adapters is welcome to send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom