For Sale The new PLA substitute - PLAnkton, the new batch is here!

eslapion

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
A new generation of PLA for the C64 is now available; PLAnkton is a new substitute for the C64 PLA U17 part no. 906114-01 or 251064-01.

PLAnkton for the C16, C116 and Plus/4 is now available! replaces part no. 251641-02

A few years ago, a PLA based on the Xilinx XC9536 appeared in the Commodore community. This circuit is now out of production and has been for quite some time.

The new generation of CPLD which replaces this circuit is the XC9536XL which runs at a lower voltage and has more features built-in.

Fredric Blaholtz aka E5frog has created a new VHDL code for the XC9536XL which includes a sophisticated chain reaction delay to ensure full compatibility with all versions of the C64 and exploits the built-in slew rate control and low power mode of this modern IC. The result is a PLA that is fully compatible with all C64 boards except assy 250469 and all C64 cartridges including, FastLoad, Super Zaxxon, 1541 Ultimate I and II and consumes only 20mA - one fifth the power of an original Commodore PLA and produces absolutely no heat. It is equipped with gold plated pins to ensure the highest reliability and longevity.

This new PLA, when compared to the SuperPLA V3, proves to be 100% compatible with older boards Assy 326298 as well as all C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, consumes one third the power and costs 30% less. Its also smaller and won't cause physical conflict with the SID nearby on older boards.

Meet PLAnkton:
PLAnkton complete - PLAnkton complete

I certify the circuit used in the product to be a genuine Xilinx product purchased from an authorized distributor.

Shipping a small packet (up to 12 units) to the US is 8$. Shipping cost for Australia/NZ, South America, UK and Europe is 10$US.

New low price: 12.50$US per unit

The product is strictly shipped with anti-static protective packaging. It is covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards.

I now distribute this product worldwide!

* TESTED SUCCESSFULLY AND FOUND TO BE 100% COMPATIBLE WITH THE C64r MK1 BOARD!

Features and characteristics:
- Costs 30% less than the SuperPLA V3
- Draws only 20mA - 1/5 the power of an original Commodore PLA - 1/3 the power of the Super PLA V3 or the same as a small green LED
- Produces no discernable heat
- Designed to produce electrical signals of EXACTLY the same voltages as a genuine Commodore PLA and reaction speed
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 mainboards 326298, KU-14194, 250407, 250425, SX-64, 250466 (NOT compatible with board 250469)
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, 1541 Ultimate I & II, Super Zaxxon, Easy Flash 1 and 3
- Made only using currently available genuine Xilinx circuits purchased from an authorized distributor
- Gold plated pins for best reliability and longevity
- Each individual units fully tested before shipping
- Shipped in antistatic protective material
- covered by a 90 days money back guarantee and a 3 year replacement guarantee afterwards

ADDED EDIT: I have noted some more expensive competing products come with a resistor and capacitor to adjust the DRAM CAS latency - no such components are required with PLAnkton as it will work well on ALL Commodore 64 regardless of the presence or not of R42 and C204

4500 units sold!

Also, customers ordering 10 units or more get a 25% discount. Customers ordering 5 units or more get a 20% discount.

If you want 25 units or more, please contact me for distribution pricing.
---

Thicker pins for weakened sockets available

A few people have indicated they have a worn and/or weakened U17/PLA socket. For this reason, I have decided to offer a variant of PLAnkton which uses a very different type of pins.

The pins equipping PLAnkton are normally 0.018" (0.46mm) to ensure they do not cause extra wear on your socket. They are also gold plated to ensure the best possible contact.

I now offer for an extra 1$US fitting your PLAnkton with 0.024" (0.61mm) pins with a thicker gold plating. The pins are also slightly shorter to make them more resilient.

These pins are based on product ED7564-ND sold by Digikey. If you calculate the price per pin of these strips, you'll realize I effectively sell them for the same price I pay.

The price for PLAnkton with thick pins is therefore 13.50$US

See photo below.

--- UPDATE! ---
Aug. 10th 2020
PLAnkton is now 5 years old!

--- UPDATE! ---
July 11th 2021
PLAnkton for the C16, C116 and Plus/4 is now available!

Last edited:
Thicker pins for weakened sockets available

A few people have indicated they have a worn and/or weakened U17/PLA socket. For this reason, I have decided to offer a variant of PLAnkton which uses a very different type of pins.

The pins equipping PLAnkton are normally 0.018" (0.46mm) to ensure they do not cause extra wear on your socket. They are also gold plated to ensure the best possible contact.

I now offer for an extra 5$US or 4.5 Euros fitting your PLAnkton with 0.024" (0.61mm) pins with a thicker gold plating. The pins are also slightly shorter to make them more resilient.

These pins are based on product ED7264-ND sold by Digikey. If you calculate the price per pin of these strips, you'll realize I effectively sell them for the same price I pay.

The price for PLAnkton with thick pins is therefore 20.50$US or 18.50 Euros.

Sidenote: Me and Fredric have now sold in excess of 230 units. Thank you all!

Last edited:
interested in 2 PLAnkton with thick pins , cost to south america ? .. thanks

The thick pins version is 19$ per unit and you indicated you want 2 of them so the price tag for your specific order is 46$US - PM sent! (2 x 19 +8 = 46)

Last edited:
Here is a photo of 2 PLAnkton modules sitting on anti-static foam.

The one on the left is equipped with thicker 0.024" pins. The one on the right has standard 0.018" pins.

Pinstrips-24vs18mil.jpg

Notice the thick pins model actually sits lower.

Last edited:
@Thierry
I made a mistake in my previous PM - I sent you corrected information.

Fredric is now sold out! I now distribute for the whole world.

Pricing for european customers is 12.50 Euros per unit - shipping is 7 Euros.

Also, customers ordering 10 units or more get a 25% discount.

Back
Top Bottom