Sold Misc ISA disk controllers (3x IDE/1x MFM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-Saint

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
210   0   0
Country
Slovenia
Region
Ljubljana
Selling misc disk controllers, one is a MFM/RRL, the rest are standard IDE.

Goldstar card still available.

Asking 10€ 8€ 7€ each + postage.

Cheers
SainT

SOLD: MFM, UMB and Acer cards.

DSC_0266.jpg DSC_0272.jpg DSC_0273.jpg DSC_0274.jpg

Last edited:
my controller i have now, i cant get it to see a secondary slave drive on the same port/cable
so im assuming this one simply doesnt support more than one drive

the system im trying to get this working on is a 386DX40 running an AMD cpu /w 8mb of ram, 1992 amibios which supports C: + D: drives + a: + B: floppies
but no matter what i do i cant get it to recognize more than the 120mb hard drive that i got with it

would one of these cards allow me to install a cd-rom + a zip100 internal drive?
i couldnt get my cdrom installed when connected via SB32 PNP card's IDE INTERFACE port.. it just doesnt see any of the cdroms i have in my possession

I've never seen a 386 which doesn't support a 1.44 directly in the bios (though if you try and use an 8-bit ISA controller that may not...) (-though it must have been possible since the 80386 originally came out in 1985 and the 3.5" HD in 1986...but that'd be a real early 386 board (ie 12-16mhz systems, likely with no ability to be upgraded)

Zip Drives require drivers, CDRoms/DVDRoms require both a driver and MSCDEX to assign a drive letter. (there are some 'generic' driver packages which work with just about any drives)

early 486s and earlier (down to the 286) typically only support up to 524MB drives directly (a drive overlay such as Ontrack can be used to access larger drives) (this is a problem of inconsistencies between the bios int13h spec and the ATA/IDE spec, limiting drives to 1024 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1024x16x63x512 = 528,482,304)

Last edited:
supernova777:
Your controller should support Master and Slave devices. Just make sure the 1st one is set as Master and the 2nd as Slave - there are jumpers on the disk - use google search for your disk to set them. There are problems if you don't set this correctly (drives don't show, or under wrong letters...).

Also look at this photo where the master drive should be (at the end of the cable):

pic012.jpg

cable position wont actually matter if you master/slave, it will matter if you choose cable-select (CS) (i have set up drives in all configurations due to case positioning issues, including the controller connection being attached to the middle ('slave') cable connection, and drives attached to both end connections...)(if memory serves it is only the high-density 80-wire IDE cables necessary for ATA100/133 drives that even began coming with color-coding and/or tabs marked master/slave)(just to note, I *did* come across a 40-wire IDE cable marked master/slave at the connectors in one of the thrift shops of all places, and it occurred to me that manufacturers may have been making this distinction back when ATA became ATA33/66, and I seem to recall the HP PIII I currently have may also have originally come with master/slave marked 40-wire IDE cables...I am really starting to forget some of this 20+ year old stuff :/)

in my experience *some* older drives wont master/slave with each other correctly, but this is a rare issue. presumably some older bios' cant make use of the CS option.

Last edited:
Declaring interest in the board with the Acer chipset (pic #4) pending shipping costs to Sweden.

MFM controller arrived, everything OK. Cannot test it now because i don't have mfm hdd (yet), but the card looks brand new.
Feedback left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom