Panasonic Real 3DO FZ-1 RGB scart upgrade/cable query

jvdw007

Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Hi there.
As per topic, I have a FZ-1 I would like to upgrade to RGB and moreso, would like to know if any of you clever fellows do upgrades or know of someone that does, in addition to also making/supplying the cable I would then need to connect it to my OSSC ( open source scan converter )?

I have already checked with Retrogamingcables.co.uk and I have many of their cables for my other consoles, but they don't seem interested in doing a cable for the 3DO.

Any help/suggestions/point me to the right people would greatly be appreciated.

Oh and if this is in the wrong section mods, please feel free to change it to where it needs to go! :)

There used to be a mod kit for the 3DO to enable RGB (It's not available natively).

You can find details here: http://retrorgb.com/3do.html

The kit isn't available right now, and although I heard rumours that some other kits are in development, none have been released yet.

Yeah, I've read that website quite a bit but I wasn't clear as to how you go from the motherboard to connecting to your scart device. I'm not very electronic-minded really. However I can do a bit of soldering. I need to really open my 3DO up so I can see what chip I have inside and try take it from there.
I'd love to get it to output 240p. I imagine I could get a s-video connector and scart connector and make my own cable that way, as long as I know which wires go where :)
I do hope they bring out a kit soon though as the standard s-video out doesn't display on my OSSC...

thats not how it works. The video chip in the 3do isn't capable of outputting rgb hence why a kit was made. It requires additional hardware to get rgb out.

Cool beans. I guess this means it's a waiting game. I do wonder if I can wire up an s-video out from the 3DO into the GBS8220 and perhaps output to component from there into the OSSC, to get the signal working that is... (Just thinking out loud here)

I too would be interested in a service to convert my 3DO for rgb to use with my ossc.

jvdw007, please let me know if you find such a service!

I have performed an RGB upgrade on a Panasonic 3DO console and to tell the truth did not find the quality any better than S-Video

If you try to convert the S-Video to another format all you will do is degrade the Original signal.

:)

I too would like an RGB mod for my 3DO,

The problem is S-video, its out dated and I only have 1 old LCD TV on its way out with S-Video and even then on that TV S-Video with the 3DO appears as black and white. my only compatible set died a year ago.

scart has its days numbered also but most modern TV sets still have RGB Scart socket.

I have an RGB modded 3DO with a 240p switch, and I find the picture quality SO much better than s-vid - especially with a 240p compatible game (like Street Fighter). The morale of the story is - make sure to get both :) 480i over RGB is not the best it can look.

Yeah from what I can tell, the 240p and RGB scart upgrade is a decent improvement. Main reason I want to do this is because my 4k tv does not have scart in, only component and hdmi. I use an OSSC with decent scart switch boxes for all my consoles which are also RGB scart modded where needed and my 3DO via s-video puts out basically a black image with some very hard to see vertical red lines and nothing else. So s-video isn't compatible with the OSSC AFAIK. In addition, my tv only accepts 60hz so any 50hz signal is simply not displayed.

@slk486 where did you get yours modded?

Quite right, the OSSC only supports RGB and component signals. Feeding my 3DO in 240p mode to my LCD via the OSSC looks really really good.

I bought a premodded one from my favorite modded console pusher on ebay ;)

Look up doujindance, if you're so inclined. I've bought multiple consoles from him. Always outstanding work.

Last edited:
Quite right, the OSSC only supports RGB and component signals. Feeding my 3DO in 240p mode to my LCD via the OSSC looks really really good.

I bought a premodded one from my favorite modded console pusher on ebay ;)

Look up doujindance, if you're so inclined. I've bought multiple consoles from him. Always outstanding work.

I've bought from him before but a modded 3DO ain't cheap and I've already got one, so it's a bit of a rip-off buying another one. Just need the RGB kit or someone to do the mod on mine really...

Back
Top Bottom