fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
(I've posted this on EAB as well so if you think you're getting deja-vu you're not lol)

Thinking ahead again to the A1200 Tower I'm putting together. It will have my 030 in it but I'm thinking I'd like a little more power.

I've seen the prices of 060's like the Cyberstorm, one of those would be amazing but not on my budget.

The Micronik busboard has a slot for an A3000/A4000 CPU so I'm thinking about a cheaper 040 out of a A4000 or something, what do you think, is it worth it?

I bet people have these spare from upgrading as well so maybe I can get a trade with my M-Tec 1230 + some cash or something?

I guess I'd need Ram, but Amigakits Z3 Ram upgrade looks interesting (y)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks guys for all your patience with my Noobishness, I am, learning though!

Steve.

Opps sorry wrong place, should have been in Amioracle, can someone move it? I'll owe you a beer...

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
the 040 is quite a bit quicker than the 030 but, (there's always a but) the 040 produces a lot more heat and it does have some incompatibility issues with a few WHDLoad games, i think the rule should be "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

cheers, JuvUK

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Moved as requested. No beers required :)

As for your accelerator question, if you get an A3000/A4000 CPU slot on the busboard, you could fit a modest 3640. You'd need to work out how to give it some FastRAM though, since the 3640 doesn't have any RAM on board. If the busboard has SIMM slots, that might work, but check you aren't limited to 8MB.

Of course, there is always http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/xcalibur if you can find one!

Update: For the record, the 3640 is the original CPU card in 4000/040 systems. They do crop up on here from time to time. If your busboard is a Z3 one, then yes, the ZorRAM (Or a DKB 3128/Fastlane) will give you all the FastRAM you can eat.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for the replies & Thanks AndyLandy for moving the post (y)

Yeah I've got the Micronik Z3i that I bought off Mr Zetro :ninja:

I've been eyeing up Amigakits Z3 ram expansion for it as my busboard does not have any Simm Sockets.

What sort of money would I be looking at for a 3640? Or are we not allowed to say here?

Oh and to add the Tower will be a workbench machine so I'm not to fussed about WHDload having some incompatibility, I've got my A1230 desktop & A630 for that :)

Cheers,

Steve.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Alas, no open discussions on $$$ are permitted as it's tantamount to price driving. I suggest you search Amibay for 3640 or A3640 and have a look at previous sales of such items. :)

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Not going to suggest rices here but as 040's go for Amiga's, it ain't 'that' expensive.

Best of luck. :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Not going to suggest rices here but as 040's go for Amiga's, it ain't 'that' expensive.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks buddy.

I've done a bit more research plus got some great advice from here and over at EAB, I'll probably be on the lookout for an Apollo 4040 or similar :cool:

But first I'll get the basics working before I jump to far into the deep end!

I think I've got a good idea of values now.

Steve.

Top Bottom