030 upgrade question.

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
Hi all.

I'm currently running an ACA1232/25mhz 128mb card in my A1200.

I've seen an affordable Blizzard 1230-IV 030/50 32mb card for sale.

My question is: would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

Cheers

Last edited:

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Very approximately 1.5 - 2 times as fast (Inetger).

The Blizzard will also allow the addition of an FPU though, so this may also be important to you.

128MB is also the max RAM available to add on these. which is plenty! :)

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Depends what you plan to do with your A1200, if you play just WHDLoad Games then I doubt you will notice any difference.

If you want to explore Emulators or use productivity software that require or utilises an FPU then you will, for example Doom and other 3D Games will run better on the Blizzard. Think Demos and Ray Tracing as other examples that would benefit from the Blizzard.

It wont make any difference to Superfrog though :p

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
That's the problem: £*** is a lot of cash to upgrade an A1200 that I'm just using to do, well, not very much.

iBrowse and Amos tinkering is a novelty at the moment, but for gaming, I'm all about my PS4 just now.

I'm scared to miss the chance of the Blizzard, but I was kind of wanting to save for a 040.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Lucas

Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
If I were you I'd go for Blizzard 1260. 68040 chip tends to get veeeery hot in the desktop housing. So, if you want to save some money then save for 060 ;) or buy 040 and then upgrade to 060 as soon as possible. The speed boost is massive comparing to 030.

dimfil

Country
Greece
Region
Attiki
Blizzard 1230 mkIV is the best 68030 accelerator for A1200 out there... This is not just my opinion, it's a general outcome from all users experience all these years...

But, it all eventually comes to how much money you can spend and for what purpose. The ACA series is more than OK for WHDLoad purposes. If you were now to buy an accelerator I would say just buy the blizzard without second thought. But for the use you say that you have (iBrowse and Amos) and even WHDLoad then maybe it is better to save your money for something else.
Though, I don't know the price that you got for that blizzard! If it is really good price then it would be a shame not to buy it! Even if you don't exactly need it right now, it is more than a good investment for such an excellent product that gets high sell prices when it shows here on amibay!

Top Bottom