060 4000D and 486 Project with some pr0ntastic photos now its completed :D

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Hi all...

I have been putting this setup together over the last few months so thought I would share some pr0n pics now its finally completed and not raining so I can get a few daylight photos.... I'm really chuffed with the machine now its done :D

So for the base unit I spent a good four months or so hunting for an absolutely mint boxed machine and finally found this one, it was a long old drive to pick it up but worth it, still sealed with all the spares still in their little bags (yes, even the keyboard locking keys!) and the battery was still installed but miraculously intact with no leaks and running perfectly.

a3

First job was motherboard recap and sourcing a new case front as it had gone beyond yellow... to that sort of dark baby poo yellowy brown that even Retrobrite can not save. I have two other 4000's but one is sold and the other is boxed up so I didn't want to swap bits about, thankfully a fellow Amibayer Voyagaer1971 in Australia sorted me out with a much less yellowed version which has retrobrited perfect white after a single 60 minute treatment and I sold the old one :)

I have a Commodore 2386SX bridge-board in an A3000 so fancied something different in this one. Fellow Amibayer and all round splendid chap BlindGerman hooked me up with a very nice Golden Gate 486SLC and compatible VGA card. It was a pain in the back box to get working but after two days of trial and error and a 4 hour Skype chat with a friend in Denmark we tracked it down to a dodgy 32mb SIMM on the Cybervision that it didnt like and all has been good since swapping it, as you can see below!

I also wanted to put a very original looking machine together so for authenticities sake drove to Coventry to pick up a beautiful Commodore 1942 multisync monitor. I will run it daily wiith a 17" Sony Trinitron but keep the 1942 hooked up to RGB out should I feel the need for some classic OCS/ECS stuff that the Indivison cant quite scroll smoothly.

The finished machine :D

weba4k4

So the spec is:

• Cyberstorm Mk1 060 @57mhz = 128MB RAM
  • Cybervision 64/3D 4MB
  • Indivision AGA 4000D CDMKII
  • Vortex Golden Gate 486 SLC with 16MB, 256MB Disk On Module and Co Processor
  • 1MB VGA Card
  • Tandem IDE Controller
  • 2 x 16GB PFS Compact Flash Drives (One to the Tandem, one to the internal IDE)
  • Silent fan in the PSU
  • Gotek Floppy USB drive
  • New HD Floppy from Amikit
  • External GVP G-Lock

Well, enough waffle.... on with the pr0n :D

weba4k1

weba4k3

weba4k2

First up, install the Indivision and Tandem IDE Controller, pretty much plug and play except the Tandem needed latest Oktapussy drivers installing otherwise it would not recognise anything on the CF beyond 1GB.

P7262347

Then the Cybervision 64/3D running under Picasso96.... Cinema4D was flipping out under CyberGrafX drivers unfortunately :-(

P7262360

VGA card

P7262365

Then the very lovely Vortex Golden Gate 486SLC

P7262371

256DOM hooked up to the Golden Gates IDE interface with MS Dos 6.2 installed (thank you BG!)

P7262374

Cyberstorm Mk1 060 @57mhz + 128MB

P7262357
Its a bit cramped but everything fits :D

P7262376

Just need to sort a proper plate for the VGA exiting the expansion slot

P7262379

Running on the Cybervision

P7262383
An finally after days of trial and error.... the Bridgboard is up and running and we have some hardcore tentacle action! :D

P7242200

P7262393

She now has pride of place lol

web2

All that's left to do now is squeeze a Soundblaster in there so I'm probably going to have to pull the Tandem and the second CF card and configure the CD and a Hard Disk with a spare IDE97 card I have
knocking about to make room for it.

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Thanks mate.. the bridge board is an awesome bit of kit now its up and running but has some puzzling ways, like it emulates the Amiga mouse as a serial mouse yet doesn't come with a serial mouse driver lol!

Timtheloon

retrofanatics.co.uk
Staff member
Staff Moderator
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Hampshire
That commodore 1942 monitor compliments you system well nice to see it will be well loved.

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I'm not jealous of anything honest.... I'm really happy for you.... (said through gritted teeth) lol :mad:

Where the heck did you manage to get that bridge board from, I have been looking for ages for one

Last edited:

Rakeim132

Country
Australia
Region
Gold Coast
Lovely machine... Perfect retro computer... All classic.❤️?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Very nice system mate! :)

Thankyou mate, and thanks for your efforts with the Vortex :)

- - - Updated - - -

That commodore 1942 monitor compliments you system well nice to see it will be well loved.

It will indeed mate... Thanks for bringing it up with you :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not jealous of anything honest.... I'm really happy for you.... (said through gritted teeth) lol :mad:

Where the heck did you manage to get that bridge board from, I have been looking for ages for one

Thanks mate :) BlinGerman hooked me up with it... Really happy with it now its up and running... I'm going to try and bring it to its knees with Xwing at the weekend lol

- - - Updated - - -

Terrific result on that case...how sexy is an A4000 in pristine condition????

Thanks mate :) I'm not saying I'm obsessive or anything but I spent Sunday afternoon colour coding the cd, gotek and floppy drives to the same colour as the monitor bezel and F keys because I once saw a picture of a 4000 like that in Amiga Shopper and have wanted one like it ever since lol!

snoopy77

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
It should run xwing ok, back in the day I used to run it on a 486sx25 (4mb) and it was pretty fast.

wmsteele

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
Very nice indeed, the a4000 looks pristine. I have a very similar setup, minus the bridgeboard, it’s something I always wanted, just not enough of them to go round!

Is it possible to combine the PC VGA output with a scandoubler /rtg card setup? I'm guessing you would need some sort of manual switch or two monitors connected.

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Is it possible to combine the PC VGA output with a scandoubler /rtg card setup? I'm guessing you would need some sort of manual switch or two monitors connected.

I use a 17” Sony monitor which has two VGA inputs with just one button press on the front to switch between them so I have the Cybervision running to input one. I then have the Indivision and PC VGA outputs running to a simple VGA switch box with the output from that running to input 2 on the monitor. It sounds complex but its badicaly just one button press to select any one of the three video feeds. Ohh and I have the 1942 connected to the 23pin RGB out! lol

8bitplus

Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
It should run xwing ok, back in the day I used to run it on a 486sx25 (4mb) and it was pretty fast.

I'd love to see X-Wing running on this A4000. I played that game so much on the PC, Tie Fighter too.

BlindGerMan

Dancing with bridgeboards
AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
Yes mate, there exists a vortex monitor master...

Robofruit

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Yorkshire
Fantastic system. When I used to work in the NHS a lifetime ago they threw a load of these out. It still pains me to think of it . Top job mate.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Well, just in case anyone stumbles across this thread and finds themselves ripping their hair out trying to get the Golden Gate to run in an A3000 my own little mystery is solved. I checked on BBOAH and it stated it need Buster 7 or newer so I upgraded the 6 in mine to a 7 as I had one laying around. Made no difference, still froze :-(

I gave up when I got it running great in the 4000 but its been niggling me ever since so I managed to get my hands on a Buster 11 (Thanks Sveta!) just to see if it made any difference and... it did :D Works perfectly now. So, despite what BBOAH says, 7 is no good, needs to be newer, 11 works perfectly :)

Its back in the 4000 again now I've put my mind at rest and can sleep again lol!

P8032547

Last edited:
Top Bottom