1.76mb HD drive

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Ok here's one I never saw anyone ask..

Can you mod a PC 1.44 to work as a 1.76 HD drive on a amiga?

Chris :nuts::readit:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
That is a good question, I re-searched a lot about that one. As far as I can remember the PC HD flop rotation speed is to high for Amiga

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Ok here's one I never saw anyone ask..

Can you mod a PC 1.44 to work as a 1.76 HD drive on a amiga?

Chris :nuts::readit:

Afaik know m8, the answer is no. You can make Pee Cee 1.44Mb Floppys work as a low Desnsity Amiga Floppy & that's your lot. jvdbossc is right about the rotation speed cocking it all up ;)

Kin

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
A couple of years ago, some people over at a1k.org developed the "a1k HD-Floppy Fix", but due to the RoHS directive they made only a few prototypes and then a small production-run as a hobby-project.

This fix did in fact turn a PC-HD-Floppy into a 100% compatible Amiga HD-Floppy. You can read about it on the page Terminal-Entry.

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
If someone here were to build such device i bet it would have a huge wanted list (me included :p)!!!

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
Is there a place where the schematic for that is available? I would be very interested in trying to build my own one of those.

In the german section of the page (just click on the black/red/yellow icon on the left) have a look at the downloads, especially "Nachbaudaten" (DIY or Reproduction Data) - only for private (non-commercial) use.

Edit:
I just saw that this is only guaranteed to work with specific drives: Teac „FD-235HF C“.
The guys were pretty much looking for a readily available (not already outdated) quality drive, which would be able to spin the disks at half speed (like the original Amiga HD-Drives), so this was their choice.

Last edited:

MZ3540

Country
Australia
Region
Echuca, VIC
I believe the main issue is that normal pc drives don't spin very reliably at half-speed (The amigas floppy controller can't handle the data rate of HD disks at normal speed).

Original Amiga HD drives do spin at half speed. The mechanism was specially built/modified to do this, I think... can anyone confirm this?
Because of this, HD floppys took much longer to read the whole 1.7Mb.

QUESTION, does this mean that the A4000 floppy controller was much the same as other amiga models (that weren't fitted with a HD floppy)? Can an original amiga HD floppy be fitted to, say an A1200 and work correctly?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I believe the main issue is that normal pc drives don't spin very reliably at half-speed (The amigas floppy controller can't handle the data rate of HD disks at normal speed).

Original Amiga HD drives do spin at half speed. The mechanism was specially built/modified to do this, I think... can anyone confirm this?
Because of this, HD floppys took much longer to read the whole 1.7Mb.

QUESTION, does this mean that the A4000 floppy controller was much the same as other amiga models (that weren't fitted with a HD floppy)? Can an original amiga HD floppy be fitted to, say an A1200 and work correctly?

Yes, though the Escom boards might need a tweak as they work with PC modified drives only. (y)

Kin

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
These BRD files inside the RAR to make this connector board... What program do I use to access that? I really wish I could read German.

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
These BRD files inside the RAR to make this connector board... What program do I use to access that? I really wish I could read German.

I believe it's the Eagle CADSoft program. Often the free limited version should already be sufficient for small layouts, so just give that a try.

The two textfiles in the archive are
- the list of needed parts (teileliste.txt)
- the user-agreement (readme-nutzungsbestimmungen.txt), saying that it's only for private use, that there's no support for selfmade hardware, and that any kind of sale (of hardware or other products containing *anything* from the archive) is forbidden and could be prosecuted.

On the page it also says (below the downloadable files) that they still have a few empty boards, so if you actually want to build one of these, it could probably save you some time and money to just contact them ;)

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Thanks for the tip Kin. I figured I would ask here since everyone on here is so knowledgeable. Besides you have to sift through thousands of useless hits to find the answer sometimes, so why not ask the community that has their finger on the pulse of these things?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
No worries Nathan, but Google has more knowledge than the entire membership on AmiBay, or any other Forum for that matter. Period. ;)

Kin

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Thanks for the tip Kin. I figured I would ask here since everyone on here is so knowledgeable. Besides you have to sift through thousands of useless hits to find the answer sometimes, so why not ask the community that has their finger on the pulse of these things?

Yeah but that's the fun of the search I did a search after a started this thread and found older post's right from Amibay..

Chris :coffee:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Yeah but that's the fun of the search I did a search after a started this thread and found older post's right from Amibay..

Chris :coffee:

Web crawlers & spiders fault m8. But then Google & such wouldn't be what they are now if not for these devices. Round & round in circles until eventually, it will all dissapear up it's own ass despite filters for filters....

Kin

Top Bottom