1200 motherboard floppy issue

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i have a spare 1200 that was missing it's floppy drive.

Well i was ordering some stuff from Amigakit a few days ago and so i bought a new floppy drive for this machine.
I've fitted the new drive but it doesn't work. Every disk i insert just comes up with df0:?????? and it won't cold boot from a workbench disc either.
I know the drive is fine as i've tested it on both another desktop and in my tower.

Any ideas as to what the cause could be?

Mike

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
hiyas mike,

I think you have an escom motherboard with the modification that only allows PC drives to work.

I will hit the specs as this mod can be undone quite simply.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
thought it was 1D+ that were escom? :blink:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
ESCOM knowingly only had 1D4 & 2B boards to retrofit and sell, but they grab what they find on deceased C= shacks.

But do the ESCOM hack on the board to know for sure. Aminet is your friend.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Scrapstah

can you take picture of the top and bottom of the board arround the floppy drive port please =D

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hi Mike,
Jimbo1979 has just done this for his mobo, exactly the same problem, hit him a PM and he'll guide you through it (he's a very helpful and friendly guy)

cheers, JuvUK

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Apologies for the delay but i've been back and forth to the hospistal with my wife.

Here are the requested motherboard shots of the floppy area

top.jpg

Bottom

bottom.jpg

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hi m8

I had this exact issue, but looking at the bottom of your board you do not have a wire connecting the pins. I had a wire that I had to cut to get mine working. Maybe the new drive you got is the PC drive they changed? What make is this new drive?

Seeing as you don't have that wire underneath its not the same problem I had.

This is what I had to do toi make normal drives work with my board.:

http://www.softpres.org/article:hard:fixing_the_amiga_technologies_a1200_fdd_connector

I just wonder if you have that drive instead of a normal one.

Cheers

R

Rixa

I've been thinking of getting such a drive from Amigakit for my Commodore A1200 with a revision 2B mobo, but they haven't gotten back to me on the questions I asked. Since you have one right there, it would be most interesting to find out if the drive they sell is a real amiga floppy drive, or a modified/unmodified pc drive. Does it have a model number?

I'm not sure if you can test this, but it'd also be nice to know how it works with noclick software. My present drive still makes a sound, just a bit more silently than usual.

I'd also be interested in whether it steps all the way to track 83 and is otherwise suitable for reading images for SPS, but this is probably quite impossible to find out.

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
I've seen some 1D4 from Escom with a capacitor soldered on the back of the mobo (including my own, witch i had to remove in order to get the floppy working), maybe with 1B is the same hack. The pic doesn't show the entire back of the mobo.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I've been thinking of getting such a drive from Amigakit for my Commodore A1200 with a revision 2B mobo, but they haven't gotten back to me on the questions I asked. Since you have one right there, it would be most interesting to find out if the drive they sell is a real amiga floppy drive, or a modified/unmodified pc drive. Does it have a model number?

I'm not sure if you can test this, but it'd also be nice to know how it works with noclick software. My present drive still makes a sound, just a bit more silently than usual.

I'd also be interested in whether it steps all the way to track 83 and is otherwise suitable for reading images for SPS, but this is probably quite impossible to find out.

Hi, i have no idea if it is a real amiga drive or a modified pc drive but if i had to guess i'd say its a modified pc drive.
The reason for so is it actually has no manufacturing label on it at all except for amigakits own label stating FDDAMI001 which i would guess is a product id.

However i have an unmoddified PC drive that is branded Sony MPF920-E that has the identical case layout and eject button if that helps?

Mike

R

Rixa

Hmm, I don't know. Have you had any luck with the drive? Amigakit got back to me and said that the drive they sell is 'different' to the Escom drives. I guess that means they are meant to work on a pre-Escom A1200 as opposed to post-Escom one. I asked some further questions, waiting for answer.

Can't help you with your problem though. Have you gotten in touch with Amigakit with it?

Edit, new info:

I never got any more answers to my queries. After two weeks I got impatient and bought it anyway to find out by myself.

It's probably a modified PC drive. I'm told that running the Arte demo is a good compatibility test for a disk drive, and this drive passes it no problem. My A1200 predates Escom, so it has no relevant modifications on the board that need to be reversed.

I find the drive a slight bit noisier than the original one, but with a noclick utility it is at least completely silent while idling. My original drive still clicks but a little bit more silently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom