1200 or 4000 for tower?

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Inspired by Eds work with the commodore gaming cases, I've decided to tower an amiga in one of them myself.

Can anyone give any advice on towering a 4000 mobo or 1200 mobo in?

Im looking at upgradability/cost of upgrades/real estate.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Definately a4000 (price permitting). You can expand an A1200 as far as a 4000 in a tower case, but it requires more work etc.

If you simply want to install either an A1200 or 4000 in a tower case then you are far better off starting with an a4k, plus you have zorro 3 slots ready to go, internal cdrom audio header etc - none of this on an a1200.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
abraXXious is right on the money here. Theoretically you can take either model to the limit of Amiga-ness. (060 & PPC CPUs, Zorro III & PCI busboard, obscene amounts of FastRAM) but the A4000 gives you a head start. That all said, I don't think it's by much.

Conversely, the A1200 has a PCMCIA port, which (to my knowledge) is the only way to put WiFi on an Amiga.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Wasagi,

I'm not sure you'll get an A4000 Motherboard in one of these cases, as you know I was toying with the idea however I think its going to be tight.

I don't think you'll fit large Zorro cards like PicassoIV/Z3 Fastlane in at all. Maybe if you go PCI then you might be able to do it, but not the Zorro Cards.

We really need to measure up one of these cases, as you know I have all the kit so if you want to meet up some time we can measure up and draw up some plans.

As you know A1200/Mediator fits from ED's project and as I am sure he would be willing to make you a template for the back section I suggest go with that plan, and since you already have Blizzard PPC it makes sense.

Grab a Mediator, Voodoo3 and Soubdblaster 128 and you're good to go!

They will be cheaper than an A4000 motherboard I'd say :cool:

Conversely, the A1200 has a PCMCIA port, which (to my knowledge) is the only way to put WiFi on an Amiga.

I made a nice solution for this on my A4000, ok its not all inside the Tower but I have a Belkin Gaming Adapter (Wifi) connected to my X-Surf to access my wireless network, works a treat!

But PCMCIA Wifi is much more straight forward.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Definately a4000 (price permitting). You can expand an A1200 as far as a 4000 in a tower case, but it requires more work etc.

If you simply want to install either an A1200 or 4000 in a tower case then you are far better off starting with an a4k, plus you have zorro 3 slots ready to go, internal cdrom audio header etc - none of this on an a1200.

This is interesting, I was just thinking about the price of an A4000 mobo I might be able to get a good a1200 setup.

@Wasagi,

I'm not sure you'll get an A4000 Motherboard in one of these cases, as you know I was toying with the idea however I think its going to be tight.

I don't think you'll fit large Zorro cards like PicassoIV/Z3 Fastlane in at all. Maybe if you go PCI then you might be able to do it, but not the Zorro Cards.

We really need to measure up one of these cases, as you know I have all the kit so if you want to meet up some time we can measure up and draw up some plans.

As you know A1200/Mediator fits from ED's project and as I am sure he would be willing to make you a template for the back section I suggest go with that plan, and since you already have Blizzard PPC it makes sense.

Grab a Mediator, Voodoo3 and Soubdblaster 128 and you're good to go!

They will be cheaper than an A4000 motherboard I'd say :cool:

I made a nice solution for this on my A4000, ok its not all inside the Tower but I have a Belkin Gaming Adapter (Wifi) connected to my X-Surf to access my wireless network, works a treat!

But PCMCIA Wifi is much more straight forward.

At least the adaptor offers you WPA encryption. We should definitely meet up and thrash some of these ideas out.

Is the grex any better than a mediator? I know I'd need a different PPC card to use.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
At least the adaptor offers you WPA encryption. We should definitely meet up and thrash some of these ideas out.

Is the grex any better than a mediator? I know I'd need a different PPC card to use.

Thats a good call on the encryption, I hadn't thought of that, I'm still using WEP as my A1200 is networked with a Netgear MA401.

But I've got a Realtek PCI LAN for my Mediator although yet to set it up, I guess now I can step up the security if I want to.

Any time mate, you're welcome at the Fitzie Household for a Miggy session! (y)

Regarding the GREX, if you have the right PPC revision I understand its the way to go however I'm 100% happy with my Mediator setup, I have everything running now OS4/WarpOS/Warp3D and Games like Wipeout 2097, ShogoMAD, GL Quake 1/2 are all working great on both Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 :cool:

Steve.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
The G-Rex is designed to work with the Cyberstorm III/PPC (A3000/A4000) or BilzzardPPC (A1200) cards and connects directly to the accelerator, bypassing the slow motherboard Zorro III interface. This makes it lightning-fast and far better than any other PCI solution for classic Amiga. It also tends to make it more expensive than a Mediator.

The cheap-n-cheerful solution is the Matay Prometheus. I don't think it's quite as flexible as the Mediator, but should give you some nice PCI-ness at least. That's the route I'm going to do down. Try to track down a Voodoo 3000 for it. Should make a lovely A4000 system. :)

I wonder if you can use a PCI prism2 card in one of these systems, that'd remove the PCMCIA need. Heck, I even wonder if a PCI to PCMCIA bridge might be compatible with an Amiga,

Last edited:

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Sadly my Blizzard PPC is not the right revision.

Ed already has put up the templates to use, so that gives me a head start. Im sure they have some CAD/CAM setup that can cut the plate at work.

Just let me know when you're free for a miggy session!

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Thats a good call on the encryption, I hadn't thought of that, I'm still using WEP as my A1200 is networked with a Netgear MA401.

But I've got a Realtek PCI LAN for my Mediator although yet to set it up, I guess now I can step up the security if I want to.

Any time mate, you're welcome at the Fitzie Household for a Miggy session! (y)

Regarding the GREX, if you have the right PPC revision I understand its the way to go however I'm 100% happy with my Mediator setup, I have everything running now OS4/WarpOS/Warp3D and Games like Wipeout 2097, ShogoMAD, GL Quake 1/2 are all working great on both Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 :cool:

Steve.

Finding these games is like hens teeth

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
How are you fixed for Thursday?

Yep, Thursday is good. Getting my car Fixed Thursday but I'll be home normal time (5.30-6pm) Drop me a PM and we can go from there.

Maybe I can get Mrs Fitz to make us some snacks :D

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi guys,

The templates so far only include the connector ports and fixing holes. I've used a PCI bracket from an old PC so you'd have to find something similar, maybe remove the pci slots from the old back panel? and cut a matching hole in the new back panel. There's also the PSU hole to cut. I used a 350w mATX unit.

Re: the A4000 mobo, I've never seen one up close but you may be able remove the lower 3.5 disk cages from the case for extra zorro room and use 5.25" to 3.5" trays for your disk(s) and optical drive.

Tip: If you can, add a couple of PCI slots more than your mediator has, to allow for other accessories that use PCI backplates e.g. USB connectors or Lyra keyboard connector.

Cheers,
Ed.

Top Bottom