Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Does anyone have a Commodore 1541 6-pin serial cable going spare? If so, please let me know price including postage to Manchester, UK.

Thanks

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Unfortunately, that's about the only 8-Bit C= cable that I have in short supply. It seems like everyone kept the floppy drives but threw away the cables! LOL!

Good luck in the search!

Heather

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Merlin

I'm 50 / 50 sure I may have a spare, I will look for you tomorrow. :Doh:

Otherwise I would source some DIN connectors my friend & just make a lead up.

TC :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Merlin,

I've just been through my spares box and found the "spare" cable, sadly it turned out to be an Acorn BBC RGB to Microvitec cable. It's a sealed type too otherwise I would have modded it into a suitable Serial cable :Doh:

Bu**er, I hope James has one after all.

TC :censored:

jimbob005

AmiBayer
Rating - 91.7%
11   1   0
Country
swadlincote,uk
Region
swadlincote
I'v just had a good look and i can only find the other 1/2 of the one i cut up i do come across them from time to time if i do i will pick one up

sorry james

fatbob_gb

Still Poor
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Lancashire
I have one but have been unable to test it (my 1541 just decided to stop working).

I can post it to you but I probably wont be able to get to the posst office til Saturday.

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ fatbob_gb

Sounds great, although are you sure that your 1541 can't be repaired? I would feel awful taking your cable from you if the drive could be fixed.

fatbob_gb

Still Poor
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Lancashire
It should be OK - I have 2 cables & 2 C64s but only one 1541 - thats how I know it is the 1541 that is broken.

As far as repairing it goes I was going to look around to see if there are any helpful sites around that might give me any ideas where to start looking.

I havent had a lot of luck with hardware so far this month - 2 BBC model b's and now my 1541 have all decided to pack up, so I might wait a while before I start fiddling about with the drive.

Anway the cable is now yours - PM Sent

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Thanks!

I have a 1541 here that seems to work and another one with the "red flashes of death", I am going to try and repair the duff one as TC is looking for one. I suspect it may be a corrupt ROM but until I get one working 100% I won't be able to tell.

(y)

Last edited:

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
...and another one with the "red flashes of death", I am going to try and repair the duff one as TC is looking for one.Isuspect it may be a corrupt ROM but until I get one working 100% I won't be able to tell.

(y)

flashes continuously ? or just some flashes then stops?
I had a similar problem at the past, had to replace one 74LSxxx (don't remember..)

Chris

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
It's a sequence of three red flashes then a pause and then it cycles around again. It's hinting at a corrupt ROM from what I've read about them.

desiv

work in progress...
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
What? You didn't just make one? :)
btw, is there a safe length for them? I made my cable, and then went to place my C64 on the cart. The drive won't fit on the side, and my cable it too short to move it up.

I've never seen a longerish (my new word) 1541 cable, so would a 3' cable be a bad thing?

desiv

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
What? You didn't just make one? :)
btw, is there a safe length for them? I made my cable, and then went to place my C64 on the cart. The drive won't fit on the side, and my cable it too short to move it up.

I've never seen a longerish (my new word) 1541 cable, so would a 3' cable be a bad thing?

desiv

For some daft reason, RS and Maplin don't stock the particular DIN plugs any more, so it was easier to ask on here for one.

I would be careful about signal loss on a longer cable. A 1 metre one should be OK, but I suspect that a longer one may cause data errors.

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham

For some daft reason, RS and Maplin don't stock the particular DIN plugs any more, so it was easier to ask on here for one.

Farnell has still on stock these...

Chris

Merlin

VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@fatbob_gb

Cable received today; thanks mate!

I'll organise some beer tokens to be sent back to you.

(y)

fatbob_gb

Still Poor
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Lancashire
@Merlin

Thats OK you can have the cable for nothing.

When I come to trying to repair my drive I might pester you for a bit of advice if thats OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom