2 button Amiga joypad

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i have a Cheetah Bollistick joypad here that has two buttons but both were wired to button 1, pin 6 on the D-sub.

I replaced the cable with a 9 core cable from a quickshot joystick, cut the trace for the 2nd fire button and wired it to pin 9 on the dsub thereby enabling a 2nd button.

I have tested this on a Sega Master System and indeed both button function differently however when i come to try it on the Amiga the 2nd button doesnt appear to function. In R-type it does nothing and in Ruff N Tumble i enable button 2 (remaps the jump) using the custom1=1 but button 2 does nothing.

In Turrican 3 however button 2 appears to fire a special weapon where as button 1 fires the regular weapon.

Any ideas how i can get button 2 recognised in games like R-type & Ruff N Tumble?

Thanks

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
if its through whdload,i have no idea.

i think i did try this once and it didnt work for me either.

liviux76

Only Amiga makes it possible...
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
BO
That is weird, I did the same mod on a few joysticks and the second button always works for me in R-Type through whdload (it attaches and detaches the shield).
Have you tested the joystick with some joy tester programs. There are a few on aminet, however if it works with some games I think that it's only a software problem... which version of whdload are you using?

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi, I think I solved this last night. I tried a few different games with this controller and also tried a master system and cd32 pads and none of the 2nd buttons functioned.

i then decided to try the controllers on my minimig.

Both buttons worked in R-Type & Mortal Kombat

I can only assume the problem is my Amiga motherboard (it won't accept a floppy drive either)

liviux76

Only Amiga makes it possible...
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
BO
Hi, I am glad you were able to figure it out. :)
Thanks for updating this thread, I was curious to know the reason of that weird behavior...

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi, I think I solved this last night. I tried a few different games with this controller and also tried a master system and cd32 pads and none of the 2nd buttons functioned.

i then decided to try the controllers on my minimig.

Both buttons worked in R-Type & Mortal Kombat

I can only assume the problem is my Amiga motherboard (it won't accept a floppy drive either)

What Amiga is it Mike?

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Its my 1200 buddy, I'm not too fussed, i don't switch it on too often. I'll just keep my eye out for a reasonably priced motherboard and nab one when it comes up :)

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
If the floppy drive doesnt work either maybe its the Paula chip? Not sure if Paula controls the joystick ports though?

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I've recapped the board and already replaced Paula, found one broken track underneath which was bridged with a piece of kynar wire. Also replaced both CIA chips but its made no difference. As i said i'm not to fussed, i can still play Cannon Fodder which is mainly what i play on the Amiga anyway so i'll just wait till a find a replacement board.

Top Bottom