22nd May 2010 - Kick Off 2 - Celebrating 20 years!

Steve1977

Country
England
Region
West Midlands
I’m helping host the 2010 UK Championships of Kick Off 2 at the Holiday Inn Oldbury which is just off Junction 2 of the M5. With it being 20 years since the game was released now has never been a better time to get involved!

Around 2001 Steve Screech (who did play testing and graphics on the game) decided to host a tournament for the small Kick Off community (www.ko-gathering.com) which got lots of people attending from all over Europe and thus would become the first Kick Off World Cup. Since then they’ve had a World Cup every year as well as regional Championships (Italian Champs, UK Champs, Greek Champs etc.) and the tournaments have got even smaller than that. As long as they’v been played on Amiga’s with a minimum of 4 players they’ve been classed as tournaments and entered into the Kick Off Statistics Database. http://ko-gathering.com/koasi/

With this year being the 20th Anniversary of the game we’re hoping the 2010 UK Championships to be the best one yet and to achieve this it would mean introducing and re-introducing the game to a whole bunch of players. We’re aiming for this UK Champs to have lots of existing players but many newer players too so no matter your skill level, there will be someone at your skill level and with it being a big tournament there really is no better time to enter. Also we see it as a chance to sow the seeds that will sustain the legacy of Kick Off 2 for many years to come.

It may seem a bit daunting with the thought of meeting up with a load of strangers somewhere but if even if you have a mild interest then these tournaments are the one's to go for. Two renowned players in the UK journeyed from Birmingham to Manchester for the 2005 UK Champs and came back having been beaten but now they’re two of the best players in the UK! Here’s some info on the past 2 UK Champs:

UK Champs 2008 - http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15575
UK Champs 2009 - http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15580

As mentioned, this tournament is heavily tailored for new players so to encourage this further we'r going to introduce a clans trophy. This will work by totalling up all the points scored by members of Ami Bay so no matter how small or large your points tally, it will all count in the end!
Also we'l have an Amiga 1200 with all the old classics on it's hard drive to play/reminisce in between games.
So as well as being a celebration of Kick Off 2 - this event wil be about celebrating the Amiga itself!

UK Champs 2010 Thread: http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15899
Mobile: PM me for details
steve_1977@sky.com

Last edited:

gdh82

Country
England
Region
Birmingham
Amiga fans, retro-gaming fans and kick off 2 fans all welcome! :)

It's less than 3 weeks to Sat 22 May, the UK's national gathering of KO2 fans. Players of all levels will be attending and newcomers are positively encouraged to join in!

Fond memories of back in the day or just what to know more, please get in touch... via pm or kickoff2@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers
Gaz

gdh82

Country
England
Region
Birmingham
Amiga fans and retro-gaming footy fans of all persuasions welcome!

It's less than 3 weeks to Sat 22 May, the UK's national gathering of KO2 fans. Players of all levels will be attending and newcomers are positively encouraged to join in!

Don't be put off from lack of practice either. No way! We have two guys who come each year just for the crack and don't play in between.

Fond memories of back in the day or just what to know more, please get in touch...

Cheers
Gaz

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Dang it all! I would absolutely have went along to that but I'm taking my wife type to somewhere nice for her birthday that weekend!

Many moons ago in the famous Glasgow Barras Market I used to play Kick Off and Sensi tournaments at my mates computer stall. Was great fun - especially the Christmas Eve games - which usually involved free beer to the punters at the stall! Ahhh the memories.

J (y)

gdh82

Country
England
Region
Birmingham
That is a shame. :( Another time maybe!

Many moons ago in the famous Glasgow Barras Market I used to play Kick Off and Sensi tournaments at my mates computer stall. Was great fun - especially the Christmas Eve games - which usually involved free beer to the punters at the stall! Ahhh the memories.

Great memories indeed! A few beers and a few retro games - what a great combo! :cool:

gdh82

Country
England
Region
Birmingham
If anyone else out there is interested in joining in on 22 May, do get in touch. With it being the 20th anniversary we can offer FREE ENTRY to a limited number of players making their debuts! (Usually we ask all players for a small fee to cover room hire and medal costs)

20th anniversary, FREE entry - there couldn't be a better time to join in! Fond memories of how gaming used to be, or just want to know more, do get in touch....
smile_4.gif

Last edited:

Steve1977

Country
England
Region
West Midlands
If you'r not doing anything this Saturday then you could do far worse than attend the 20th Anniversay of Kick Off 2. At least 2 players attending havent played in 15 years and more than half of the rest havent played in 12 Months.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
I would Sooooo love to be there - hope everyone who is going has a great time! Post pictures!!

John

gdh82

Country
England
Region
Birmingham
The UK Champs themselves may be over, but the memories, the laughs and the stories live on! :)

Click HERE for results, pictures, videos and more.....

And even if you missed this event, its never too late to get in touch. Kick Off gatherings take place all over Europe so pm, email (kickoff2@hotmail.co.uk) or go to ko-gathering.com/tournaments for more info.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Where / when is the local tourney please gdh82?

John

Top Bottom