2MB Amiga Game?

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Would make any different? I mean Putty Squad AGA look really good for 2MB Amiga and I was wondering what other Game could be used for 2MB to make them look even better...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I don't quite get your question. Technically all AGA games design to run on a standard unexpanded A1200 would be written to use its standard 2MB chip ram. There were some great looking games.

Or do you mean games released for the original OCS Amiga with 1MB, with enhanced AGA versions released?

One such example of these is Stardust.

A larger leap was for the original A500, for games utilising 1MB ram when detected, over the standard 512KB. A lot more games at that time 1987-1991 enhanced themselves in some way when the extra ram was detected. Reflections was one developer I remember showed a screen acknowledging the extra ram detected. Games such as Pinball Fantasies and Lemmings being 2 games.

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
If its OCS/ECS 2mb games I believe Jungle strike AGA actually works on 2mb OCS/ECS Amigas as well as this works on my A600 :)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
As Dave stated, the leap from 512kb to 1MB was a big difference in the games. Many games were something more to offer in terms of graphics, sounds, facilities when you had 1MB of RAM. Some examples:

TV Sports Basketball gives extra speech thru the game (for example when you block your opponent you hear... "rejected" from the commentator)
Indianapolis 500 gives instant replays from multiple cameras (this option is disabled on 512k Amigas)
Hired Guns gives more sound effects with extra memory fitted

... and hundreds more.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
And don't forget that after a couple of years a 512KB trapdoor expansion became fairly mandatory as most new game releases in the late 80's started to state 1MB ram as the minimum requirement. Developers realised they could do so much more.

BTW, did you know that the original A1000 was shipped with just 256KB ram as a cost cutting by Commodore. In development the A1000 was meant to have 512KB as standard, and reducing this seriously restricted the OS at launch, making the ram expansion all but necessary.

Top Bottom