2MB ChipRAM on an A2500: worth the investment?

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
I recently noticed the newly produced Mini Megi Chip (Vesalia sells it), a 2MB ChipRAM upgrade for the 500, 2000 and CDTV. It made me started to think about the use for it and if it would we worth the €55,55.

I have an A2500 with 1MB ChipRAM and 116MB FastRAM. Now there's a lot of software nowadays which allows ChipRAM stuff to be done in FastRAM, so is it really an upgrade which makes Workbench life a lot easier? Or, to put it in a single question: WHAT exactly will profit from having an extra MB of ChipRAM?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I recently noticed the newly produced Mini Megi Chip (Vesalia sells it), a 2MB ChipRAM upgrade for the 500, 2000 and CDTV. It made me started to think about the use for it and if it would we worth the €55,55.

I have an A2500 with 1MB ChipRAM and 116MB FastRAM. Now there's a lot of software nowadays which allows ChipRAM stuff to be done in FastRAM, so is it really an upgrade which makes Workbench life a lot easier? Or, to put it in a single question: WHAT exactly will profit from having an extra MB of ChipRAM?

For me, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort for my A2000. It has 1MB Chip on-board, and that's enough to run OS3.5/3.9 and so long as you have a bunch of FastRAM, your chip RAM will be reserved for use with the custom chips only (as it should be!) -- I've never hit any problems with this configuration so far.

If I only had 512K or Chip, then I'd seriously consider it, but for 1MB it's probably not worth the bother.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@McV

I'm tempted to fully agree with my good friend Andy, I've thought about it to but tbh I've yet to come accross any issues with my A2000 having 1MB ChipRAM... ECS Denise she has & that's good to go.

Regards
TC :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
WHDLoad?

Also keep in mind the Vesalia mini megi chip contains an NTSC Agnus. :(

Good point THB regarding it being an NTSC version, AmigaKit stock a similar NTSC version too.

Regarding WHDload, I know, I've got KG's full packs installed & have yet to come across a title that needs more than 1MB (non-AGA of course :p) and doesn't run...there probably are one or two but I would estimate just a few %

TC ;)

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Just what I thought then, not really worthwhile buying. Thanks for sharing the info guys! (y)

I didn't notice that it was NTSC though. Not that it should matter much since everything runs through a Picasso II and an A2320 SD/FF.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Just what I thought then, not really worthwhile buying. Thanks for sharing the info guys! (y)

I didn't notice that it was NTSC though. Not that it should matter much since everything runs through a Picasso II and an A2320 SD/FF.

If you've got an RTG in there, the ChipRAM is even-less of a concern :)

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
I've got almost everything in this A2500, apart from USB and a soundcard.

Oh, and PPC of course :LOL:

Top Bottom