3.0 roms, what's the point?

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Yo dudes and dudettes,
Are 3.0 roms even worth having any more? from what i can tell, they can't run os 3.1 properly or os3.9, they don't support very much, you don't seem to be able to give them away, so is there any point in having them?
What should i do with the 3.0roms (A1200,A4000) that have been sitting on my shelf for about 4 years?

cheers, JuvUK

P.S have ya missed me? lolololololol

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
3.0 ROMs are pretty pointless. They aren't an upgrade for anything. They might work in an A3000, but I doubt it, and it's still hardly worth it. :)

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Sure they're useless when you don't need them, but for someone who blizzkicks the 3.1 rom inside, those are the only roms I got ;)
... mmm, my precious... :D

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I have two pairs of 3.0 kickstart ROMS from my A1200 and A4000. I keep them for reserve.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
You could encase them in resin and make a paperweight.

Drill a hole through one end and instant key fob/ pendant gift for the missus. :p

Trim the legs off and have a very short domino rally.

Ummmmm, probably some other ideas, any one else want to pitch in?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
They will become a nice keyring I presume. :D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've 2 A1200's with KS3.0 roms in them, so they are useful in those, as they wouldn't boot without them! ;)

Obviously I would prefer them to have 3.1 roms fitted, but my other 2 A1200's already do so that is OK for now.

BTW, what is the best softkick software to rekick a 3.0 A1200 with a 3.1 rom image? And this would be for an A1200 without an accelerator and just a fast ram expansion (My 2 Blizzard accelerated A1200s already have 3.1).

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
My A1200 that was my main computer from 1993-1998, I only had kickstart 3.0. It still ran WB 3.1 just fine. For classic apps, whdload, and demos 3.0 is fine.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If you really want 3.1 kickstart, the only option is relokick, but it is not exactly useful for serious applications.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
My A1200 that was my main computer from 1993-1998, I only had kickstart 3.0. It still ran WB 3.1 just fine. For classic apps, whdload, and demos 3.0 is fine.

It was the same for me. From 1992 when I bought my original A1200 with KS 3.0 roms, and through to my A4000 which also had 3.0 roms, and remained my main system until 1998, I never found anything that wouldn't work with 3.0 roms fitted.

It is only now in more recent years, wishing to run Workbench 3.1 properly that I upgraded a few to 3.1, and also the ability to run Amiga OS 3.9.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
That's my point regarding binning the 3.0 ROMS. Once you've had the 3.1 ROM experience with OS3.5 or 3.9, you're never going to want the 3.0 ROM again & you could always soft-kick it into RAM if you ever had the urge. ;)

Then again, some boards do sell without ROMS & that's usually where the seller has removed 3.1 ROMS to capitalise on returned revenue. At worst, a 3.0 ROM would get one out of a mess.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
^^ whut Kin said.

For sure, if 3.0 is all you've got then fine, but once you've upgraded an A1200 to 3.1, the old 3.0 ROMs are pretty worthless. They won't upgrade any other Amiga, they're only worth hanging on to in case you acquire an A1200 board with no ROMs and don't want to splash out on 3.1s for it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I have a few friends who did the worst thing: plugged in the shiny/fresh/mint 3.1 ROM kit in the wrong place (on the left side of the sockets) after thrown away the original ones...

For those special* friends I gave two pairs of 3.0 ROM chips, many moons ago.

*Yes, the word is other...

Photon

Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland
Give'em to someone who has an Amiga with non-working roms or an expansion that is incompatible with 3.1 (very unlikely but...) for postage.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@JuvUK

Keep those A4000 3.0 ROMS handy, I may need them to ensure we don't have a ROM fault on your A4K Mobo

TC ;)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@JuvUK

Keep those A4000 3.0 ROMS handy, I may need them to ensure we don't have a ROM fault on your A4K Mobo

TC ;)

Zetr0 said that board had 3.0 roms in it m8?

I Believe it does indeed have 3.0 ROMS at the moment, I'm just trying to think a little ahead as I'm sure Z told me he was not sure if the Hi / Lo orientation was correct and in anycase if the adress lines are being raised but the data bus remains static it sure would help to remove "suspect" roms from the equation...

That's all mucker..

TC :p

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
@JuvUK

TC ;)

Zetr0 said that board had 3.0 roms in it m8?

I Believe it does indeed have 3.0 ROMS at the moment, I'm just trying to think a little ahead as I'm sure Z told me he was not sure if the Hi / Lo orientation was correct and in anycase if the adress lines are being raised but the data bus remains static it sure would help to remove "suspect" roms from the equation...

That's all mucker..

TC :p

bugger! lol those were the 3.0 roms i was claiming to own for the a4000 ;)

Top Bottom