Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Rotherham' South Yorkshire.
Hi guys....

Iv ordered some 3.1 roms for my a1200 cos im wanting to try os 3.9' but
now im wondering' With only 4meg expantion will i beable to run os3.9 ok????

Oh and just another quick question. What other updates does the 3.1roms give me over the 3.0roms??

Cheers guys... Thanx for your help' Once again :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Phil1978

I think OS3.5 is probably your limit with that configuration; OS3.9 really needs an accelerated 1200.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
@ Phil1978

I think OS3.5 is probably your limit with that configuration; OS3.9 really needs an accelerated 1200.

Ohhh... I might have to check out os3.5... Cheers again....

So is that the only differance then between the 3.0 & 3.1 roms then? In respect that i can only use a more upto date OS....
:)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Essentially, 3.1 is a bunch of bugfixes on the 3.0 ROM.

I have an A1200 with a 4MB RAM card, and it runs OS 3.5 very nicely. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. :)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
So is that the only differance then between the 3.0 & 3.1 roms then? In respect that i can only use a more upto date OS....

The major differences are:
  • 3.0 cannot run AmigaOS later than 3.1 (it doesn't support loading in modules from AmigaOS updates like 3.1 does)
  • 3.1 contains many bug fixes to the libraries both internally and on the disk
  • 3.1 is more up-to-date
  • 3.1 supports the Akiko chip when used on a CD32
  • 3.1 supports the extra CD32 libraries that are built into ROM (namely lowlevel.library and nonvolatile.library)
  • 3.1 contains minor improvements to RTG handling
  • 3.1 contains the additional datatypes: ANIM and CDXL
  • 3.1 introduces a small delay whilst checking for hard drives. This gets around the old 3.0 bug whereby a hard drive is not always recognised from cold boot.

Those are the ones that I know of.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region

The major differences are:
  • 3.0 cannot run AmigaOS later than 3.1 (it doesn't support loading in modules from AmigaOS updates like 3.1 does)
  • 3.1 contains many bug fixes to the libraries both internally and on the disk
  • 3.1 is more up-to-date
  • 3.1 supports the Akiko chip when used on a CD32
  • 3.1 supports the extra CD32 libraries that are built into ROM (namely lowlevel.library and nonvolatile.library)
  • 3.1 contains minor improvements to RTG handling
  • 3.1 contains the additional datatypes: ANIM and CDXL
  • 3.1 introduces a small delay whilst checking for hard drives. This gets around the old 3.0 bug whereby a hard drive is not always recognised from cold boot.

Those are the ones that I know of.

CHEERS DUDE!!!! :) :) :)
Ill take it I made the right move towards 3.1 rom. :)

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Essentially, 3.1 is a bunch of bugfixes on the 3.0 ROM.

I have an A1200 with a 4MB RAM card, and it runs OS 3.5 very nicely. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. :)

That made me a lot happier then' Cos i hate spending money (PERIOD)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Nicest solution for a CD drive is to get a buffered IDE interface inside the A1200 and a laptop slim CD/DVD drive. Keeps everything inside the original A1200 case for a neat solution that keeps everything all-in-one. And use IDEFix with it.

The alternative easiest solution would be a Squirrel SCSI PCMCIA card and an external CD-Rom drive, but that obviously takes up more room.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Nicest solution for a CD drive is to get a buffered IDE interface inside the A1200 and a laptop slim CD/DVD drive. Keeps everything inside the original A1200 case for a neat solution that keeps everything all-in-one. And use IDEFix with it.

The alternative easiest solution would be a Squirrel SCSI PCMCIA card and an external CD-Rom drive, but that obviously takes up more room.

Thanx for the heads up...
This buffered IDE interface your on about' Where could i get one of those? :p

I have a few laptop cd drive somewhere so thats not gonna be a prob....

Cheers again ... :bowdown:

EDIT: Never mind iv found one... :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Just for info in case anyone else is looking. Amigakit sell a cheap buffered IDE interface for the A1200 for just £12. It isn't as fast as the expansive ones you can find, but it works perfectly if all you need to hook up is a HDD/SSD and CD-Rom.

And remember if considering using a CD/DVD drive from an old laptop that the interface to connect it up is a laptop JAE Atapi connector and so you will also need a JAE to IDE interface that normally just screws to the back of the drive and then provides the IDE connector. These can be found for under £2 on ebay from HK sellers.

Top Bottom