Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i have some 3.3v 4.0Gb CF Microdrive's
They are manufactured by Magicstor and have model #GS1040A-52
I have some 3.5" CF-IDE adapters that have a jumper to switch between 5v and 3.3v but my question is can i use these 3.3v CF's with a USB Card Reader to format and use with WinUAE ready to transfer to my A1200 Tower or will the USB card reader blow the drive?

Sorry if it sounds confusing but don't want to damage them.

Thanks

Mike

Not my pic but they look exactly like this but state:
"3.3v operation only"

ssgs1.jpg

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Scrappy,

I am afraid to say that the generic USB readers are infact 5volt only - thus would blow the unit.

you could look at getting a USB to IDE interface - with the CF-IDE adapter you already have (switchable 5v / 3.3v) will provide the opportunity to get the data on the drive you need.

I have a bunch of generic CF-IDE adapters that I am going to modify with a 3.3v regulator so it can be used on a miggy =D

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
@Zetr0, thanks buddy i figured the usb wouldn't be compatible. I'll look at getting a usb-ide interface or just try hooking the 3.5" CF-IDE adapter up to a spare IDE port on my PC tower and set it up that way, just USB is more convenient lol

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
hello,

im using the same CF micro drive in my A4000 and USB reader (on the mac) and the only issue i had was that the micro drive didn't work in my A1200 (no separate power to the cf - ide adaptor) but on the A4000 (which has power to the cf-ide adaptor) it works fine - if a little slowly

who says they are 3v microdrives?

Although mine doesnt have the grey label as your microdrive but its the same make.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
hi mjmurney, it says on the label that its 3.3v operation only in bold letters.
I'm not willing to try it at 5v in fear of damaging it lol

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Two silicon diodes (1N4001 or better voltage, no need for more than 1A) in series with the +5V line will cure the problem once & for good.;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@rkauer

I dont have any 1N4001 diodes in my stores - BUT, i do have about 20 3.3volt 220 Regulators =D

so there shall be some hackery =D

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@rkauer

just a few...... thousand!!! ;)

Top Bottom