32MB Simm showing as 16MB.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
One of the Blizzard 1230 MK-IVs I have came with 16MB of fast ram. However, when removed, the simm is double sided and has a sticker on it saying 32MB EDO.

I've replaced this SIMM with a new 32MB one and that is being correctly recognised and showing as 32MB.

Anyone got any ideas why this other SIMM is only showing as 16MB? Or could it really be a 16MB SIMM and the label is just wrong?

It doesn't have any make or obvious model numbers on the SIMM. Just 8 IBM chips on each side and a sticker saying "1095789 26266 32MB EDO". And some writing at the edge of the ram saying "B7340C 94V-0".

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i found this

SIMM RAM 16MB 72-pin non-parity 60ns EDO, 2 available, 8 chip single-
sided B7340C HY85117405BJ-60, 16 MB 60 ns

so if yours is double sided i'd say it is a 32mb stick

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Do you have anything else to test the SIMM in? Might be worth checking if it's the SIMM, or just the combination of SIMM and the Blizz IV

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@ Harrison

I believe we both have SIMM's that exhibit the same symptoms.

This SIMM is labelled as 32mb but is actually a 16mb. The only thing I can conclude is that the 32mb moniker is for the entire amount of a matched pair.

Attachments

• DSCI0003.jpg
    DSCI0003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Do you have anything else to test the SIMM in? Might be worth checking if it's the SIMM, or just the combination of SIMM and the Blizz IV

Only another 1230. I don't have anything else at the moment that accepts 72pin SIMMs that large. It isn't a huge problem as I have enough other 32MB SIMMs now. Just wondering if this one really is a 32MB simm or not. Maybe it is just that the 1230 can't see it fully, whereas the other double sided SIMMs I've tried it can.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
@ Harrison

I believe we both have SIMM's that exhibit the same symptoms.

This SIMM is labelled as 32mb but is actually a 16mb. The only thing I can conclude is that the 32mb moniker is for the entire amount of a matched pair.

That could make sense. Is your 16MB simm double sided?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
The other gotcha with 72pin SIMMs is the size descriptions:
1Mx32 = 4MB
2Mx32 = 8MB
4Mx32 = 16MB
8Mx32 = 32MB

This might not be the issue in your case, but it's worth bearing in mind, especially when naughty eBay sellers claim 32MB on SIMMs that aren't... :dry:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
That could make sense. Is your 16MB simm double sided?

No mate, the ones I have are 4 chip single sided, but I have had simillar SIMM's in the past that were lying about their size and double-sided (labelled as 64mb but 32mb's). All mine were found in a job lot about a year ago from ebay.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
By sheer coincidence, I got the very same accelerator as Harrison and just upgraded mine with a SIMM (32mb apparently), though havn't actually tested it as yet.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I had the mtec 68030 50 mhz, in my A1200, it did exactly the same... I was not unhappy with it, since I did not need the memory, so did not test it further, used to have an amiga expansion picky about pc world memory. Hope some more tech members dig it up for you.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Well mine is seeing the 32Mb fine, just checked to see if one of my old 68k Macs can and it can see all 32Mb's too. Hmm...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
All other 32MB SIMMs I have work perfectly in A1200 accelerators and other hardware. It is just this one specific SIMM. Double sided with 8 chips on each side. But no make or model ids. Very strange.

As I said before, it isn't the end of the world as I now have other 32MB SIMMs to use. Maybe I can work out the actual amount of ram from the actual chip numbers?

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
All other 32MB SIMMs I have work perfectly in A1200 accelerators and other hardware. It is just this one specific SIMM. Double sided with 8 chips on each side. But no make or model ids. Very strange.

As I said before, it isn't the end of the world as I now have other 32MB SIMMs to use. Maybe I can work out the actual amount of ram from the actual chip numbers?
That's very strange as my 030 MkIV Accelerator seems to read it fine. If you can't get them working and thinking of selling them on let me know as I got a couple of old Mac's which would find them very useful. :)

Top Bottom