360 RROD pah!! i laugh at your RROD

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
greetings, I know this isn't Amiga related, but it may be useful for someone one day and some of you may even find it interesting.
My friend has a RROD xbox 360, and now he doesn't :wink: now he has a fully functioning 360, and here's how[attachment=3:13ri4gv5]RROD.JPG[/attachment:13ri4gv5][attachment=1:13ri4gv5]360 bits.JPG[/attachment:13ri4gv5][attachment=2:13ri4gv5]360 no case.JPG[/attachment:13ri4gv5][attachment=0:13ri4gv5]360 mobo.JPG[/attachment:13ri4gv5]

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Re: 360 RROD pah!! i laugh at your RROD

[attachment=3:2xxmju54]gank cleaner.JPG[/attachment:2xxmju54][attachment=2:2xxmju54]more gank.JPG[/attachment:2xxmju54][attachment=1:2xxmju54]even more gank.JPG[/attachment:2xxmju54][attachment=0:2xxmju54]gankless.JPG[/attachment:2xxmju54]

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

[attachment=3:i1u5zrcd]more gankless.JPG[/attachment:i1u5zrcd][attachment=2:i1u5zrcd]offending things removed.JPG[/attachment:i1u5zrcd][attachment=1:i1u5zrcd]cooking.JPG[/attachment:i1u5zrcd][attachment=0:i1u5zrcd]yay RROD gone.JPG[/attachment:i1u5zrcd]

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

[attachment=0:3m0jbsde]proof in the pudding.JPG[/attachment:3m0jbsde]

whole process takes about an hour and a half, so RROD is gone and gaming can commence!
hope someone finds this helpful

Cheers, JuvUK

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@Juv,

I have a 360 with a RROD and I'd like to try this! I just have some questions.

1. When cleaning the old thermal compound off the chips on the motherboard, do you just put some of the TIM-Clean on a cloth then wipe off the thermal grease? I'm guessing the TIM-Clean is made for electronics? I've never used it before.

2. When re-attaching the heat sinks, did he apply new thermal compound?

3. What is the "Bake for 20 minutes" part? Is it drying time?

Thanks for the great image tutorial!

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Well done!!

I wouldn't be sticking my neck out about a permanent fix if I were you, though; the solder that they used on the 360 is lead-free and it's a brittle as :censored: , so at some point in the future it may fail again due to the solder cracking as before. Best not tempt fate, eh? :shhh:

(y)

@ SdG

He means "cooking" the CPU, in order that you re-flux the BGA solder underneath it and re-make the failed joints. If you look up the "wrap it in a towel method" on Youtube it will make more sense.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

@Juvvy, I have tried this on a number of 360's and i have to agree with Merlin.
I have an Xbox 360 Elite and i have performed the clean and re-apply of thermal compound, took out the x-clamps, baked the machine and all works fine for about 2 weeks, then the machine develops either the RROD or E74 and i have to bake it again and it will work for another 2 weeks. Apparently the best way to try and cure it is by reflowing the gpu with a heat gun (I've not tried this just read about it).
I followed this tutorial.

Mike

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

@ Merlin, fair comment :)

i remove the x clamps all together, replaced the t8 screws with 8mm bolts a steel spring washer under the mobo and 2 x steel penny washers on the up side, use a good quality thermal paste, do not cook the cpu!!! if you look at the picture i still have a fan running over the cpu i only cook the gpu, the spring washers keep tension (the plastic ones deform after only a few weeks) i have done one 360 that is still going after 7 months, so fingers crossed this latest one will last as well, the towel baking idea is not so good as it cooks the cpu and can deform the mobo further

JuvUK

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

SkydivinGirl said:
@Juv,

I have a 360 with a RROD and I'd like to try this! I just have some questions.

1. When cleaning the old thermal compound off the chips on the motherboard, do you just put some of the TIM-Clean on a cloth then wipe off the thermal grease? I'm guessing the TIM-Clean is made for electronics? I've never used it before.

- yes use a cloth and finger nails for the thick stubborn stuff the TIM-Clean is designed solely to remove thermal paste it is excellent stuff.
2. When re-attaching the heat sinks, did he apply new thermal compound?

- indeed (he?) I did ;o)

3. What is the "Bake for 20 minutes" part? Is it drying time?

- power up the 360 for about 20mins with the fan sitting on the cpu heatsink or until the RROD turns to 2 lights whichever is soonest, then unplug and let it cool for 30 mins

Thanks for the great image tutorial!

Heather

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Error codes (if you have one)

Section 4 is flashing red
- Hardware Failure

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen.
If the screen is blank or you would like additional information follow the instructions for determining the secondary error code in the section below
E45: Unknown (possibly dashboard update related)

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error. Some also believe this might be caused by a problem with the fans.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

E72: (not yet known)

E73: General Hardware Error: Ethernet port... this error is caused by a problem with the Ethernet port.

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

E76: (not yet known)

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

=============================

--==SECONDARY ERROR CODES==-
The specific type of hardware failure can be determined by a "hidden" error code

* Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.
* Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
* The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
* Release the eject button and press it again.
* The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
* The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.

You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:

* All four lights flashing - 0
* One light flashing - 1
* Two Lights flashing - 2
* Three lights flashing - 3

0001 power supply problem
0002 Network Interface problem
0003 Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
0010 over heating
0011 over heating - If you are receiving this error after disassembling your console make sure to all 8 of the heatsync screws are tightened securely to the board/heatsink holes.
0012 over heating
0013 over heating
0020 (Not yet known, possibly overheating)
0021 DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard.
0022 GPU Error / GPU Overheating
0023 (not yet known)
0101 (not yet known)
0102 unknown error

* though it's most likely GPU related literally means the console does not know what is wrong. possibly a short or cold solder joint somewhere. So far there is 1 major theory for what causes most of these errors is that the Ram, CPU, or GPU are not soldered properly to the mother board due either to poor manufacturing or excessive heat up and cool down cycles that stress, weaken and eventually break the soldered connection.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced. I have also heard of limited success by simply switching the AV cable from "HDTV" mode to "TV" mode.

0103 CPU Error/ CPU Overheating - see solution for error 0102
0110 Memory Error / Memory Overheating - see solution for error 0102
0200 (not yet known)
1000 (not yet known)
1001 (not yet known)
1002 (not yet known)
1003 Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it
1010 Hard Drive Error, Can be caused buy a corrupt or missing eProm.
1011 (not yet known)
1012 (not yet known)
1013 (not yet known) possibly a dashboard update error
1020 (not yet known)
1021 (not yet known)
1022 AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. (could also be a problem with the encoder chip)
1023 DVD drive not connected, connect DVD drive to boot
1030 (not yet known)
1031 (not yet known)
1032 (not yet known)
1033 (not yet known)
1444 and up There is no "4" in the error codes four lights is a "0" go back and check your code again.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

So the RROD error is completely down to bad solder joints?

Regarding cleaning old thermal compound. I don't use any fancy expensive chemical cleaners from the thermal compound companies. Instead I use good old carburettor cleaner. Works brilliantly.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

good tip there Harrison, but this stuff ain't expensive about £6-£7 for the bottle and it lasts for ages (i'm talking years here) you only need the tiniest amount

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Still, it is more expensive than a can of carb cleaner. I bought a 500ml spray can of it for £5 in about 1994 and its still nearly full after cleaning about 50 or so heatsinks and CPUs. So it is good value.

It is also quite hard to find thermal compound cleaner in UK shops, whereas carb cleaner can be found in nearly ever car shop and Halfords.

About the only place you might find it is PC world, and you can imagine the price they charge. Although last time I asked for something in PC World the guy looked at me blankly. It is quite mad to have staff that are not remotely interested in what they are selling. All I asked was if they had any wired Xbox 360 controllers in stock, as they only had wireless ones on display. He didn't know what I was on about. So asking for anything more remotely complex would really confuse them. Thermal compound would probably tip them over the edge.

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK

has anybody had any ps3 errors? :run:
Didnt think so :laugh: :banme:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

actually yes! my ps3 died twice then i got rid of it, the difference being you can fix a 360, if your ps3 dies, you send it back or bin it, i must also stress here, my own 360 is about 2 years old now a hasn't missed a beat, my ps3 lasted 7 months before dying the 1st time and about another month before the 2nd death, ignoring the 6 weeks Sony had it to repair.
@ gaz, lol c'mon mate, you're better than that. :wink:

i just thought i'd add this, i know the fail rate on the 360 is disgraceful, the workman ship is terrible and cheap, but the ps3 which is much more expensive, hasn't sold as many and has been out a shorter time still has it's problems just ebay search faulty ps3 or youtube the same and you'll see they ain't as perfect as the fanbois make out.
plus i'd be far more miffed if my £300 plus console died than my £120.
i've actually started buying faulty 360's to help fund my 3do gun (y)

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK

@Juv,

Of course I am only messing about. But I am PS3 fanboi that much is true!

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

gazuk said:
has anybody had any ps3 errors? :run:
Didnt think so :laugh: :banme:

Funny you ask. I read that in the final stages of completion the overly hyped up CELL processor (hyped up by Sony) could not cut it so Sony in a last minute rush turned to Nvidia for a GPU solution. The outcome was something far inferior based on the Nvidia 7800 series cards i believe. No wonder they dont run into too many heating problems as most cards based around the 7000 series can run fine without much cooling, but then again they aint exactly pushing any technology to the limits.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

JuvUK said:
actually yes! my ps3 died twice then i got rid of it, the difference being you can fix a 360, if your ps3 dies, you send it back or bin it, i must also stress here, my own 360 is about 2 years old now a hasn't missed a beat, my ps3 lasted 7 months before dying the 1st time and about another month before the 2nd death, ignoring the 6 weeks Sony had it to repair.
@ gaz, lol c'mon mate, you're better than that. :wink:

i just thought i'd add this, i know the fail rate on the 360 is disgraceful, the workman ship is terrible and cheap, but the ps3 which is much more expensive, hasn't sold as many and has been out a shorter time still has it's problems just ebay search faulty ps3 or youtube the same and you'll see they ain't as perfect as the fanbois make out.
plus i'd be far more miffed if my £300 plus console died than my £120.
i've actually started buying faulty 360's to help fund my 3do gun (y)

Gee i didnt think PS3's were prone to failing so much. I thought that as with every other Sony product it just suffered from all the over hype and exaggerated specs. Now dont get me wrong, i own several PS1's, and PS2's (one of my very much treasured machines i have is the first model PS2 unmodded and running games using HD Loader from a 250GB HD connected to the network adapter) so i dont not like them, i just wish Sony could be more truthful before a product they make is released. Maybe if they were, the Dreamcast would have lasted just that little bit longer.

So your doing this to help fund your 3DO gun?? How much are these selling for now?? I still have my gun and my Panasonic FZ10 that i bought brand new for $699. Yep thats $699 about 15 years ago for a game console, and this was supposed to be the cost reduced version. The only model that was sold here with a sliding tray was the one made by Goldstar. I have had numerous amounts of this model, and all of them seemed to have a fault of some sort. I have one for the collection but its not my preferred model of choice for everyday gaming use. I would have loved the Panasonic (FZ1 i believe) with the sliding tray but i did not see them sold here in Australia. BTW i missed out on a Sanyo 3DO Try last year or the year before i think. It sold for way under $200. I didnt bid on it at the time as i though it would sky rocket in price. Once i checked the auction after it ended, i could not stop cursing.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

i can't have a 3do gun :cry:
not compatible with plamas or LCD's WTF!!! scan in a different way? :what:

i don't own a tube anymore so i can't have a gun? Rubbish!

it's about time someone far smarter than i worked out how to mod light guns to work with new tv's. there must be thousands of these thing now rendered useless, an untapped market maybe?

.......now where is Zetr0 when you need him?.......

Top Bottom