Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
There's also a part works magazine that lets you build one week by week - but as per normal with part works I guess it won't be cheap :roll:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
You can already get this printer for quite a bit less (I've seen it for €499 = 376 GBPounds). But after reading how dangerous ABS fumes can be to your health, I've decided to spend a bit more and get one that is fully covered with air filters etc. Otherwise you can only safely use PLA.

Bryce.

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
£376 is even better!

Not got my thinking head on properly today, did not think of the ABS fumes.

Sorry, what is PLA? I assume that is safer form of plastic?

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen

NinjaRabbit

Video Game Merchandise Collector
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
There's also a part works magazine that lets you build one week by week - but as per normal with part works I guess it won't be cheap :roll:
With the introductory price, the standard issue price, and the fact that the two issues carrying the PCBs will cost £14.99 each, it works out to £649 over 90 weeks (and for a limited time they're also offering a pre-order of a pre-built one for £699, at £100 off of its normal price of £799). If you include the extras you get from subscribing as well, the partwork version was one of the cheaper options I'd seen on the market before this £499 kit, and it's undeniably the most useful partwork ever. (y)

Last edited:

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@NinjaRabbit

I think Star Wars fans may argue the point about the most useful partwork ever ;)

NinjaRabbit

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
Heheh, fair point. That Millenium Falcon one at the moment is pretty impressive!

But then again, you could print Star Wars stuff by building a bit of sci-fi technology at home with the 3D printer one... ;)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Buy the printer and a Falcon and create your own copies of the Falcon and sell them to mates :D

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I'm pretty sure it will cost you more in ABS filament than the Falcon kit costs from them. You'd loose money.

Bryce.

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
There is also two Polish companies Zortrax and Omni3D. The first one signed a contract with HP for 5000 3D printers.

Last edited:

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Is 3D printing really all that cost effective at the moment? I saw an article the other day about a full size Shelby Cobra being part printed which then had to be sanded down before painting.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
In a word - No. It's only really useful for once of prototyping and mechanical confirmation. For any sort of mass production it is both way too expensive and way too slow.

Bryce.

NinjaRabbit

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
South Gloucestershire
And also there's a disturbing trend toward filament that rots away after a relatively short while, like certain types of eco-friendly carrier bag do. (I know that this is one of the complaints levelled at Dremel's offering in the field.)

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Yes, but bio-PLA won't rot your brain like ABS fumes will, and 3D printing (when used for prototyping / mechanical confirmation) doesn't need the parts to last forever. Even bio-PLA lasts for years as far as I know.

Bryce.

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I know all polymers for now that are melting in "low" temperatures or have a fast liquid to stable state change are not too long lasting.

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
It's kind of a paradox. 3D printed items have relatively high price per unit and don't necessarily last very long. A mass produced molded item has a low price per unit but you usually have get a shipload of them which makes the price quite high, especially, if you need only one.

Top Bottom