40mm fan

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I'm looking for a 40mm x 40mm x 10mm 12V fan to fit a Buffalo Linkstation v1 (the original white ones). I've had a look around but can't find any fans this size. Anyone know of any sources or have a fan this size?

The fan developed the noisy bearings issue last year, which most fans do over time. I pealed the label off and lubricated the bearings with some 3 in 1 oil and that sorted it out until now. However it's doing it again, so although I've lubricated it again I think a new fan is needed.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
there are fans like that: the Scythe mini-kaze SY124010L , 3500rpm, 4.11CFM 14dBA ... not the strongest ones mind you...

1192_p3.jpg

searching with the part # you will get results :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Thanks. For some reason when searching on ebay nothing useful was coming up. Looking for that one hit a few results at good prices. Sadly the CFM is too low on that fan as it needs to be 5-8 CFM to work correctly.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
After looking through loads I still can't find one that will work.

It needs to have 3 wires, so it has a yellow monitoring wire so the device can control the fan speed, it needs to shift at least 5 CFM of air, and must be quiet (17-19dBA).

I found someone selling the same fans as the original, but will only sell them in packs of 5, which I don't need. I suppose I could offer the excess ones to Amibay members.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Found an Akasa fan now with 5.62CFM, RPM sensor wire... but noise level is 24.8 dB(A). Might just have to live with the slightly noisier fan when running at full speed.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
yeah, small fans like that a are just a pain in the a$$ , the good ones are just noisy as hell...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Now found a SilenX iXtrema Pro fan with 5CFM and only 14dBA, which is great. But it costs a lot more...

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I've had a few SilenX fans rated at 14dBA (Wow, someone just had a car accident jus outside my window. Wrote down the reg number incase he runs, a van ran into a parked car in HIGH speed. The driver is okay).

Okay, the SilenX producs mostly suck. no way they really are 14dBA, I've got the Akasa one at 23dBA, and it's quieter than the crap SilenX ones I trashed.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Oh, thanks for that info. The Akasa one is a 1/4 of the price too so I think I will just get one of those. :)

Top Bottom