4k Monitor or 1440 Monitor?

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Does it really matter or doesn't make any different if I was buying HDMI 2.1 Monitor weather is 4k or 1440 Monitor? PC Always hit 4k depending your Graphics card where the game console sometime hit 4k or go for 1440.......

Things I look for are

HMDI 2.1
RESPOND TIME 1M
REFRESH RATE 144HZ OR ABOVE
COLOR DEPTH 10BIT
HDR 600(HDR seem be over rated and same for ray tracying lol)

Last edited:

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
HDMI 2.1 allows 4k and 8k resolution upto 120fps @ 60Hz.

Your monitor will be limited to the max resolution / refresh rates, other than that, I don't think it matters. It really depends on what you want from your monitor.

My current desk monitor is a 24" IPS IIyama Red Eagle HD @165Hz and I am not looking to "upgrade" it any time soon. The RTX 4090 in my PC is limited on that monitor, but occasionally I hook the PC up to a 55" Sony a90j oled @4k. :)

Last edited:

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
thank you for answer the questions :)

I seem go for 4k Monitor as long as it got high Refresh and Respond time 1m or less :)

One questions more I like talk to you is about Color Depth 8bit (16.7 Millions colours) and 10bit (1 Billions colors) as does it make any different between two if you played Uncharted 4 on PC?

I seem think 10bit monitor is better due more colors on screen.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
I think 10bit would be better for 4k, but I would try them both to see if there's any hit on performance. I don;t have Uncharted 4 on PC so I can't comment :)

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
IF You haven't played Uncharted Series Games then you should as it is like James Bond game - Full of Action, Good Story, Puzzle here and there , Pow Pow Pow Bang!

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
IF You haven't played Uncharted Series Games then you should as it is like James Bond game - Full of Action, Good Story, Puzzle here and there , Pow Pow Pow Bang!
I started playing Uncharted on PS3 back in 2008, but never actually finished it. :-(

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
My lad has both 4k 16/9 and curved uw 1440p looks amazing especially on forza but on his ps5 it either stretches the image or goes 1080p in the centre on the uw. On his pc he can pick the correct aspect ratio.

I went over 3yrs ago for a 65” oled hdmi 2.1 120fps @ 4k completely stomps on any lcd/led pc monitor.

Ps5, netflix etc. looks amazing. I’m currently replaying god of war it looks gorgeous. You can’t underestimate an oled best tv I’ve ever had.

If you have the space a good oled looks amazing.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Waston say "I started playing Uncharted on PS3 back in 2008, but never actually finished it. :-("

OOOH You should finished it as I have finished the whole Uncharted Series

in order I like are

Uncharted 2
Uncharted 4
Uncharted
Uncharted 3(it was poor toward ending thought)

Sardine say "If you have the space a good oled looks amazing."

Yes I have to agree with that but do you ever worry about Burn in over the time as there is tips how to prevent it if you know what i mean.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Mostly all new TV's and Monitors now have screen burn prevention.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
Ye even though when i got my oled about 3-1/2 years ago i was panicking when the kiddies had the cartoon channels on with a permanent bright orange logo in the corner also setting my games to dynamic hud so no permanent health bar etc. it was a big investment at almost £2k.

Funny thing when me and the mrs set it on the tv stand we both stepped back looked at each other and said wow thats way too big comming from a 50” to 65” doesn’t sound that much difference but it was jokingly HUGE. Now where used to it and want a bigger one lol.

I can say i didn’t need to do any of that burn in prevention . Burn in is for those silly few who leave sky sports or cnn on 10 or 15 hours a day with fixed high contrast logos. Luckily those cartoon channels realised the oled boom and if you look today they are still semi transparent to help with burn in. My youngest is almost 10yrs so no more cartoon channels.

Almost 4 yrs on i have 0 burn in and ( fingers crossed ) working perfectly since day 1.

Importantly i let the tv manage its own screen maintenance. ( not unplugging it ) Looks weird when i turn the tv off it then reports a maintenance is scheduled and a bit later i hear it turn on and a thin line goes up and down the screen with a message saying b pixel refresh complete.

The picture is amazing the tv recognises my ps5 and switches to lag free game mode.
I recommend an oled if you can get one that’s suits your space.

I hear if you have the money a good short throw laser projector is the topping on the cake for large amazing displays but far away from our budget here.

Last edited:

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
IMG_5396.jpeg
My phone doesn’t show the hdr and how black the dark areas are.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
We went from a Samsung 49" QD that we had for 8 years, to a Sony 55" OLED Master Series. I know there's not a huge difference size wise, but the Sony it is much better spec.. The overall size of the Sony does look bigger though, and the TV takes up more real estate on the TV stand.

The Samsung was starting to show it;s age, as I noticed more and more light bleed on the sides of the TV screen

The wifey suggested 65", but we are short on space and I am glad we decided not to. I can just about manage to move the 55" on my own, but not a 65", and since my wifey had a stroke she can;t really help move the TV.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
I dont seem think wise to used OLED TV(I have seen 48 Inches OLED TV) for Computer when you would have headache sitting close to the screen unless if you sitting bit far away to played gaming is ok if that make sense.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
I bought this https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-legion-r27q30-quad-hd-27-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-black-10257488.html?q=LENOVO - Legion R27q-30 Quad HD 27" IPS LCD as Budget HDMI 2.1 Monitor

For PC is fine as 1440 -144HZ or 4K 60hz(My Current GPU IS RTX 2060S)

For PS 5 - 1080 - 120HZ or 1440 - 120HZ :)

Will work on Xbox series X? only 1080 - 120HZ !

What I like?

Metal Stand
Putting Phone in Middle of the Stand (as then u know where is! lol)
Screen look Decent as saying goes.....you get what you pay for.
You move monitor up and down.
You can rotate the monitor left or right

Dislike
HDR 400(bit low on side even thought it is Budget HDMI 2.1 Monitor for reason)
8bit Monitor(even thought it can be 10bit monitor if had better graphics card like RTX 3060 as they do HDMI 2.1)

My Next Step is get better GPU :)

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Very nice!

The Xbox series X is awkward with it's limited support on TV's and Monitors, but it's Mircosoft, so say no more!

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
will there be new Mini Led monitor coming out as so far Alienware 27 inches and 32 inches OLED(both have 3 years burn in warranty!) have been release and MSI Oled monitor coming in April(more costly than Alienware Oled monitor!)

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
I have ASUS vg27aq1a monitor that is 4k but when come graphics card like RTX 3050 as it only can display 2560 x 1440 where RTX 2060S can display 4K............

It did surpise me one bit as maybe I wasnt paying a atttention to it before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom