68030 CPUs: All the same?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
...Moved offtopicness into its own thread...

Again: all the PGA 68030 are the same!

Does not matter if you install a 25, 33, 40 or 50MHz mask unit, since internally they are the same.

Use the one you can grab.

Although there are EC and non-EC versions, depending on whether you care about the MMU or not.

@rkauer: I'm sure they're the same die, but aren't they marked to show what speed they're successfully tested at? Intel did this with the original Pentiums, they were all 200MHz and those that ran unstable at 200MHz were clocked at 166MHz (Or failing that, 133MHz)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Not on Motorola, mate. They simply marked the chips as the market demand, no difference inside at all.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Not on Motorola, mate. They simply marked the chips as the market demand, no difference inside at all.

So, I can stick a 40MHz oscillator on my Apollo 2030 and it should Just Work? I might have to try that!

Anyways, I've hijacked someone else's thread again. Back to Jon Hare and CPU searching.

@Jon Hare: Have you tried contacting Nathan (AmigaManiac) -- He is usually pretty good at tracking down Motorola CPUs and FPUs.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
You can struggle on another problem: the glue logic on the card can cope with the higher clock?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
You can struggle on another problem: the glue logic on the card can cope with the higher clock?

Good question, but I assume so, since I doubt there's any difference in the glue logic used on the 25MHz and 50MHz versions of the card. I could be wrong though. Is there a way I can find out?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Yes, swap the crystal and test the card for a small time. Put your fingers on the PAL chips on the board. If they are too hot, swap the crystal back to 25MHz, or try a 33MHz unit.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Not entirely true m8. All CPU's & indeed GPU's are Speed Binned. Not all wafers or all CPU's from the same wafer perform @ the same speed. They are soak tested & binned at stable speeds, period.

However, on some occasions, some faster CPU's or GPU's in todays market are binned @ slower speeds to meet market demand, as they were back in the Motorolla 68xxx days.

Where do you think Intel i5 & i3 CPUs come from? - They are merely failed i7 architecture. - The industry has been doing it for years. They even did it with Chipset architecture such as Intel i875/i865 series (Canterwood Chipset). 875 hit the shelves first & 865 was released as failed 875 chips. ;)

Kin

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake

Not entirely true m8. All CPU's & indeed GPU's are Speed Binned. Not all wafers or all CPU's from the same wafer perform @ the same speed. They are soak tested & binned at stable speeds, period.

However, on some occasions, some faster CPU's or GPU's in todays market are binned @ slower speeds to meet market demand.

Where do you think i5 & i3 CUs come from? they are merely failed i7 architecture. - The industry has been doing it for years. ;)

Kin

Saves a heck of a lot on landfill and recycling costs in doing as Kin said above. The chip makers could easily fill several football stadiums per year with failed 'premium speed' chips if they had to dump them. No, far better to lower the internal clock speed down to a stable one and sell it on than to waste/recycle them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom