9 Core interface cable, where?

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
Anyone who's owned a 32bit Acorn will have probably cursed them for using their own 'non-standard' mouse protocol...
...ageing hardware breaks, ball-mice aren't that good anyway, replacements are a swine to find...

Yes there are PS2-Acorn mouse adaptors but they are a bit expensive.

Fed up with this I'm going to make my own new(ish) optical Acorn mice. :)

-I know how
-I can source the 9-Pin Mini Din plugs
-I'm having trouble finding suitable 9-core cable to make the leads...

...can anyone help?

...does anyone want their own optical Acorn mouse?
(no idea about price but I'd only charge postage + components)

Thanks

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Charlie me ole Mate (y)

I remember buying some very nice 9core + GND cable from Maplins about 2 years ago to make a shed load of scart leads for all my ole systems..

If memory serves it was the time I sent you a cable for the BBC Master :LOL:

The price was quite cheap & cable quality was good too...
let me see if I can find a stock number for you.

And yes mate I know Merly & I would both like our own Acorn Optical mice :nod:

TC :)

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
Cut the lead from an old/broken 9-pin D joystick. Open the stick up first to verify that all nine wires are present. ;)

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
@TC:
Hello old chap, how's things?
Thanks for the links, can you remember how thin/floppy this cable is?
I'd be more than happy to make a few of these if there are takers.

@meega:
Thanks for the idea, if I had a brain I'd be dangerous. Now why didn't I think of that?
Still, that's good for me but I may run out if I end up making a few...

@All:
The plan involves butchering a USB optical mouse. Most (not all) have an optical encoder chip that can be persuaded to output quadrature...
...the two such 3-button wheel-mice I've got kicking about @ home will both do for the job but what I'd really like is:
A white 3-button optical mouse (not a wheel mouse) known to have an Agilent ADNS2051-ish encoder in it - most cheep USB mice? Does anyone have such a beastie they don't mind cracking to see what's inside?

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
Anyone who's owned a 32bit Acorn will have probably cursed them for using their own 'non-standard' mouse protocol...
...ageing hardware breaks, ball-mice aren't that good anyway, replacements are a swine to find...

In fact I manage to hack 2 of them for use with my Amigas! I like the one that came with the A5000, the micro switches of the buttons are way better that the Amiga ('tank') mouse...

Chris

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
PS:
>This< HP mouse looks perfect and seems to be one of the few of it's type still on sale...
...I don't know if it's got to correct encoder in it (see above), does anybody?
(more expensive than I wanted)

Muzer

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
I'd be interested if it has a longer cord than my current mouse (which can't actually sit on the desk when plugged into my RISC PC below the desk ;))

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
I'd be interested if it has a longer cord than my current mouse (which can't actually sit on the desk when plugged into my RISC PC below the desk ;))

No probs, when (um, if*) I get round to it they'll be made to order jobbies (no two the same) so just say what you want or even provide a favoured mouse assuming it's been cracked to make sure the correct encoder is in there.

I'm very aware many of the possible takers are far more experienced @ this stuff than me so I'll probably do a how-to based on the first attempt for those who'd rather DIY.

*Just bought 10 9-Pin Mini Din sockets so:
-I guess I'll have to do it now
-One for me and 9 others?

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
Hi Peeps,
A quick update to say I've taken delivery of some 9-Pin mini-DIN plugs, so the build an optical Acorn mouse project is now possible without the need to butcher an old mouse.
meega had the excellent idea of recycling broken joystick cables for Acorn mouse leads, so that's not an issue either.

If anybody knows where to find a supply of 'proper' 3-button optical mice I'll take a look & if suitable will start making some. :)

(HP seem to be the only makers of such mice if you don't want a scroll wheel but they stopped production a while ago)

P.S.
If anyone's interested I've got a neat little project for interfacing SNES game-pads with all 32bit Acorns...

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
Just a further quickie to say I've managed to track down a supply of new proper 3-button mice and having cracked one open it looks like it's got a compatible chip...

...fingers crossed: (limited) production of replacement Optical Acorn mice is on the horizon. :D

Top Bottom