Status
Not open for further replies.

jailer

AmiBayer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Mansfield, UK
hi all well i finally got myself a a1200 ram expansion....and found out it takes a fpu so if anyone has one that will fit please let me know

this is the board

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?company=Bio-Con

the top one

looks like i need a PLCC one as the card does not have a PGA socket .... so if anyone has one that will fit (i dont know what will) please let me know .... is it a matter of just pushing it in and job done ?

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: a FPU for this board MA1208 by Bio-Con

From the picture you make reference to, that card will take PGA & PLCC FPU's.

The Left Socket is PGA & these FPU's are usually Ceramic with a Gold Topped Core with pins off the underside of the FPU.
The right socket is PLCC & are usually black with pin Contacts over the edges of the FPU.
The small Socket under the right Socket is for the Timing Crystal to run either of the FPU's at the speed of the fitted Timing Crystal. - So, you could fit say a 50Mhz PGA FPU (they are now very rare) & a 50Mhz Crystal. Doing so would mean you set the relevant Jumper to Ex. Putting a PLCC FPU in the other socket will limit the speed to 33Mhz Maximum, though some claim they can do 40Mhz. I'd not recommend this as the PGA Ceramic FPU deals better with the heat & was designed for this purpose. Again though, you will need a Crystal @ the respective speed of the FPU with the Jumper/s set to Ex.

Without any Timing Crystal on the card, what ever speed or type of FPU is fitted will only run @ 20Mhz which is the speed of the 020 CPU on the A1200 Mobo. The FPU's I talk about here are all 68882 types. You can fit a 68881 but you will need a 14Mhz Timing Crystal & set jumpers to Ex.

Hope you find this info of some use as guidance. Just go for as Fast as you can get & whatever fastest type you can get your hands on! - I covered both types of FPU in case you wern't aware your pic link shows both PGA & PLCC sockets! :wink:

Best of Luck m8,

Kin

tabuhuso

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Country
TURKEY
Region
Adana

You can solder PGA socket, very easy... I can sell you 68882-25 mhz PGA FPU+PGA socket. If you want...

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Nice offer tabhuso.

....Meaning you could upgrade the card to those elusive 50Mhz at a later date. Afaik, 40Mhz PGA FPU's have been run at 50Mhz without problems! :wink:

Kin

jailer

AmiBayer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Mansfield, UK

thanks tabuhuso my soldering skills aint the best but might be worth a try

how much we talking here posted to the uk

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ jailer & tabuhuso

Please discuss the "Nitty Gritty stuff" via PM & keep the threads clean. Do update the thread with any directions taken or not.

Cheers,

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom