A little bedtime story for you... and it's all true....

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....

Once upon a time, there was a bad little teenage scrote from Kirkcaldy in Scotland that called himself Scobby666 or Duffyson on several UK forums. All was well on the forums for a long time, then Scobby suddenly started to offer highly-priced, desirable goods like PS3s, Wii's and phones at prices that were silly, but not too silly.

Lots of people jumped at the many tempting offers, but the catch was that he asked for the funds to be paid into his girlfriend's account by direct bank transfer, as for some reason he couldn't use PayPal. He also used several different bank accounts, to avoid arousing suspicion.

The people didn't receive their goods and became very unhappy. This continued for a few months, until the people across the various forums started to notice that he was offering the same items on lots of sites, making quite a bundle of cash; on one forum alone he scammed several members to the tune of over £1000.

These very unhappy members started to come together on one forum and hatched a plan to take the little scrote down. The forum created a private, invite-only area where only those who were chosen could join in the plan. These chosen few and scammed members worked away for several weeks, infiltrating the little scrote's life, totally without his knowledge. The members eventually found out all about where he and his entire extended family lived, who was writing what about whom in whose Facebook account, who owned which bank account and where the account was located, who got scammed where and for what, until his whole Internet life became known and shared between the chosen few. IP addresses were traced and triangulated, along with all of his known aliases and internet accounts.

Next, the chosen few started to spread the word to other forum Admins about Scobby the scrote and one by one his outlets for scamming began to dry up. He eventually found that nobody would accept him onto their forums and he was very sad.

Eventually, the chosen few had collected enough evidence to contact the Police. The scammed members made statements to their local Police and all of this information was sent to the Police at Kirkcaldy. The chosen few waited with bated breath, anxious to see what would happen next.

Finally, a message came back via e-mail from Kirkcaldy; Scobby the scrote had been arrested, cautioned and charged and had admitted the offences. Currently Scobby, along with his girlfriend if there's any justice, is waiting for his time in Kirkcaldy Sherriff's Court, where hopefully Scobby and his girlfriend will get their come-uppance.

What is the moral of my little tale? Don't piss off hackers in large numbers, they will take you down every time! It has taken about five months of hard graft and social engineering across several forums to make this happen. How do I know? I was one of the chosen few.... there are more 'l33t' people out there with skillz like you would not imagine... and I bagged the film rights to this a long time back....

Remember: all that glisters is not gold... and all that doesn't glister isn't either. Something that looks too good to be true usually is.

Caveat Emptor....

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Re: A little bedtime story for you... and it's all true....

well done Merlin, good story well told and good work my friend, I am proud of you :grouphug:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Justin,

It was a team effort involving about 15 people from all over the UK from at least five forums or websites, all with highly skilled hackers amongst the memberships.

It was Scobby's naivety and bad judgment as to what might be a suitable target for a scam that was his undoing...

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Well done to you all :thumbsup2:

That helps to prove the point of feedback in whatever form it takes :D

Dave G 8)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

lol just take the compliment m8, they won't come often m8 :D

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Now perhaps you get an idea why the security on here is so good......

"The price of peace is eternal vigilance."

(y)

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Awesome

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Great Work.

It proves something I've been thinking for some time. Online communities need to be linked together, sharing security issues and information they have each been collecting about banned members and suspicious activity, so that similar scammers cannot exploit forum members in the same way in the future.

It is a project I've been considering and putting some planning into and hope to find the time to launch the initial ideas for it very soon. My idea is to create a separate site for site/forum admins and moderators to come together, so they can meet up, share information and discuss situations that could effect the wider community than just their own. And from this shared information, to correlate it into downloadable lists/files for each site admin to then use to update their own records for things like stronger access control in the form of black, grey and white lists.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Brilliant yarn. A scam0r hax0rd. :pint:

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Kin Hell said:
Brilliant yarn. A scam0r hax0rd. :pint:

Kin

Absolutely, Charlie. The forums involved in this is like a haxX0rs hall of fame, it includes:-

All-Forums
DataCave (Formerly Modshack)
Unlocker Forums
Toecutter Forums
Hackable.cc

Just to give you an idea of the scale of the operation, the thread in the private area ran to 64 pages and 632 posts!!

Here's my quote from post No.78 in that thread....

Ooooh, this is getting tense, I keep coming back here to find out the latest instalment.

Bags me the film rights, I reckon the script to this this could make a brill 'Hackers' type film....!!

/'80s "Bill Mitchell" deep film voiceover on

"In a world where people had been cheated, there came a time when enough was enough, they stood up to be counted and they used the power of the Internet, to seek justice against the one that had betrayed them....."

/'80s "Bill Mitchell" deep film voiceover off

Now all I need is a film title......'Hackers: The Takedown' has already been done.

:mrgreen:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Here's an update.

Scobby and his chavetta girlfriend have both been charged with Fraud by Fife Police. That's a better charge than was hoped for, as we thought obtaining money by deception was the likely charge.

Hopefully, this should result in a worthwhile punishment for these thieving scumbags.

sarek2k

Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire

At Merlin i would carry out your own justice with your lawgiver mk2 :) after all you are the law ;)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

oh noezzzzz there goes my plan to sell those A4000 G5 ppc accelerators that I found on a back-alley truck-deal :jester: :jester: :jester:
Awesome job Merlin :thumbsup2:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Nice one Merlin, that is good news to hear. :D

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

keropi said:
oh noezzzzz there goes my plan to sell those A4000 G5 ppc accelerators that I found on a back-alley truck-deal :jester: :jester: :jester:...

dont be pu**ies guys.... this chap looks legit! I'm certalny having one of them =)

:ROTFLOL2: :jester: :ROTFLOL2: :jester:

As the say in Wales - "baaa-Gin!" =)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

here be majestic keropi with said accelerator in hand:

amigaz-thief.jpg

'tis prooooooffff I tell ya! :jester:

:eek:fftopic: :run:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
excellent Merlin, well done - costly but well done. will you be re-embursed at any point?

My brother was scammed on Ebay a couple of years back , a guy selling, PS3 , xbox and wii consoles - new but for under new price.

He asked for postal orders only as paypal fees were expensive and he didnt want to pass the fees to his customers -such a nice guy:)

well the item never arrived, my bro put a complaint in but the guy said he had never had the postal order - or he may of put a complaint in saying he hadnt been paid.. i forget now.

Anyway my bro had the foresight to get the post order signed for - the nob had acutally signed for it via the postman!

Anyway to cut a long story short my bro contacted everyone on his ebay account who left negative feedback...a lot of people.

the all got together and wrote statements , copied ebay sold adds and so on and got the police involved...

Well after i think 2 or 3 years my bro who lost £150 now gets between £2 and £3 a month via the court as the offender cannot pay anymore than that as he doesnt work.

ebay didnt couldnt care less and just barred the seller - job done.

i think it was 8 or 9 people who my bro got in contact with in the end. everyone gets £3 a month when the conman can afford it.

Just goes to show , if we all stick together we may not get justice but we can some revenge..

Oh by the way my bro asked for the guys address , he asked permission from the police man (quite nice actually) if he and us (five brothers) could pop around and see him in liverpool..

sadly no said the copper, although he wished he could of let us with police blessing.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Did the police not ask how the information was obtained merl? :LOL:

How does one begin to obtain such levels of L33tness? I know a certain amount in networking and am starting a computer science degree in September, but I'm guessing what makes one so L33t will not be taught in classrooms.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ AmiNeo

All information gained about Scobby666 and his 'missus' was obtained by perfectly legitimate means. there may have been some social engineering and influencing going on, in order to obtain access to Facebook and bebo accounts, but nothing that was deemed unlawful by the Police. Proof of transactions was easy, as the idiots asked for payment by bank transfer and it's easy to trace accounts and the bank branch location, if you know how. The Police were just happy to get a large dossier of rock-solid evidence to take to the CPS...

@ mjnurney

I wasn't one of those ripped off by Scobby666; it was just that All-Forums put out an APB for skilled hackers to form an elite team to hunt and take this pair down, as they had ripped a lot of people off for thousands of pounds. I volunteered to be part of the team of about ten people or so that worked on his case. He needed to be made an example of, so that others would not try to emulate him.

Never screw with hackers in large numbers; it will never end well.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom