A messsage for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
This quick guide is intended for all members to help prevent misunderstandings when using Amibay, especially those who are new to forums and those of us that sometimes forget ourselves :roll:
I myself am not an admin, I am just a user, so these are not meant to be interperated as rules or me telling you what to do.

1. I can't see you.

Obvious I know, but easy to forget when we sit on our computer tapping away at the keyboard.
Because I can't see you, you need to be very careful how you word things - I can't see that grin on your face as you playfully take the mickey out of me and may interpret what you have written in totally the wrong way. The use of capitals, quotes, italics and smilies can all help to get the correct meaning across.

2. Open your mind.

When reading a post don't just jump to the first interpretation that comes to mind and respond - see No 1. then re-read it with an open mind to see if it was intended in another way.

3. I don't know what you've done.

If you have a problem and want to post a question, try and give a little insight to what you already know or have done.
If you have Googled something and cannot get your head around it then say so, tell us what you have tried - this will not only help a member respond with the correct solution to your problem but also stop them going over what you already know. It will also show that you have tried to help yourself and are not just being lazy.

4. Be polite

When you pop round a friends for a coffee and want to ask some advice would you greet him as he opens the door with "How do you fix a ...." no, you would say hello, how are you, etc.
If you ask a question on the forum in a friendly, polite manner, you will probably get a friendly and helpful response. If you put up a one-liner you may get the same back.

5. Try to post in the correct place.

This will not only make your thread stand out with it's own heading allowing maximum exposure, but it also helps to keep the forum organised and tidy.
A person with the same issue will find your thread with all its responses and not end up asking the same question again.

Finally, Amibay is a forum of friends. This friendship builds up very often without ever meeting each other. Lets keep it that way by treating each other as friends. Guiding and helping each other out through both good and bad and turning the occasional blind eye for the benefit of that friendship.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and may all the friends that make Amibay what it is have a very Merry Christmas and may our friendship grow as we take on 2009 :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: A messsage for all

seems fair enough to me...

oh lookie i have a sticky button :D

if anyone would like to question or add, then please post away :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Gary

Nice Wordage! :wink:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Very nicely put chap.

Now, could someone put this under Leytond's nose and add a bit about creating monstrous threads and not listening to a word anyone says to you? :wink:

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

I wonder at times what Leytonds on :LOL: :D

I wish I could have some :LOL: :LOL:

Dave G 8)

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Methinks Leytond has some early signs of dementia caused by catnip overdose.
Me tried it once but don't remember nothing.
Since then the EAB OTS had been abandoned by a few good man and some strange personas keep complaining about it... I'm not quite sure if I actually do want to know what happened...

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Zetr0 said:
<SNIP>
oh lookie i have a sticky button :D
<SNIP>

:shock: