Status
Not open for further replies.

silverf0x0

AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Lazio, LT
Few days ago the Wolfram Research team have released a new search engine.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/index.html

It look like a very promising project, as it search and display informations in a very different prospective then regular search engine do.
The project don't claim to be in competition with serch engine such Google, as it has been thought to be used from the reserch and scientific community only...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Re: A new search engine

The Wolfram Engine has been in development for some time and many think it is the future of search engine technology. With your search results utilising data from many different sources around the world to build a unique web page tailored specifically to your results.

For example, if I were to type "chichester to rome" it gives me a page the shows the distance between the two. The time to fly between them. A map with the two locations. The current local times of both. Their populations, and their elevations.

Or if I just type chichester it gives me similar results, except it also includes additional useful information such as the current weather and the distance to the most important largest cities nearby.

Plus all results use javascript to link to even more information for each piece given to begin with, so you can continue to explore and research more from your current results, rather than needing to launch a new search for something related, based on the results we currently have, which is what we have to currently do with other search engines.

It is quite a cool search engine and indeed quite different to the regular style used by google or yahoo style engines. And it is definitely focusing on the research and academic side, which is going back to the roots of where the internet started, and where it continues to develop the most.

Something interesting to do is enter your date of birth. It will tell you exactly how old you are in days, who was born the same day, what the moon was doing and what the sunrise and sunset times were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom