A possible grim future of Intel buyers.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Some news reached me one day and if I'm brutally honest, I was less then surprised.

First it was Satellite Television.

Then it was Video Games.

Now it seems it's Computer Components.

If your not a guy who watches TV and play Games for a living (like me) I'll explain.
It's unlocking content for a product that the poor buyer already paid hard cash for and it seems more and more products could be doing this in the near future. Intel is the latest to jump on the band-wagon by charging its customers to "unlock" it's full power and/or to overclock.

Its obviously a target for bigger profit margins. We all know the issues that a general family faces when they buy their PC. It ends up clogged and they face ads from Intel offering this "miracle" solution for the poor un-educated family.

I wonder if we will be seeing the same for our Graphics Cards and even maybe to unlock RAM?!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I heard about this a week or two ago. About the only positive part of the idea is that Intel only has to make one chip and can sell it across the entire cost spectrum instead of making multiple chips to do the same thing. However, I have never liked the idea of crippling hardware just to make more money later. Unfortunately, they have the power to do whatever they like.

Oh well...

Heather

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Don't worry.....

The happy hacker brigade's around the world would soon find out how to unlock the extra's for free :)

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Stupid move. All this does is gives competitors like AMD an opportunity to step in and offer full-performance clones for no extra charge ;)

Cloudane

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Cumbria
Link? (not that I don't believe you, just curious to read the full details).

In a sense I'm used to that with Apple but they lock things down in ways that I can understand them choosing, and I'm generally happy enough with the trade-off of predictability. But I also have a PC and the whole point of that is flexibility and ME being in control. If they pull that on a mainstream level then it looks like it's back to the AMD part of the cycle.

Bit of a dumb move as 'classic' PCs seem likely to return to the status of "enthusiasts only" (everyday Joe will go for nettops which are becoming quite capable with the likes of ION). So alienating enthusiasts seems a bit silly.

Last edited:

Cloudane

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Cumbria
Thankyou kindly.

The most cynical website on the Internet, so it's tough to know how many conclusions they're jumping to this time ;) Sounds terribly dastardly though, and I hope the trial is a spectacular failure. I suspect it will be.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
They are trying to emulate Apple, only with more epic fail added to the mix.

The hacknologists will make short work of this, as they have with every other opportunity to overclock stuff..... they are hoping that something like this will happen....

"Hey, Brandine!! You be callin' them there people at Intel, and tell 'em that they needs to unlock mah web-cam dee-vice, so's ah can talk to mah cuzzin' down the road awhile...."

(It works better in a Cleetus-style, gap-toothed idiot voice)

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
This isn't new..
I was setting up a PC to go into an Acrade Machine I have, and was complaining about "Power on AC reset."

My motherboard didn't support it. The more expensive model did tho.
So, as I was grumbling about buying the more expensive model, someone pointed me to a firmware flasher that "enabled" features on my motherboard that weren't there..

Worked great.
Turns out, the only diff between the 2 motherboards was features that were enabled to display or not in the BIOS..

And if I go WAY BACK in time..

There was a WANG machine with a 5 meg hard disk. Called for an upgrade. They sent out a tech who came out and "enabled" the other 5 meg.
Aparently, they got a price break on the 10 meg drives, but many customers couldn't afford the extra 5 meg (it was expensive!!). So, they shipped with it disabled, knowing most users would eventually need it. ;-)

desiv

Top Bottom